Stihl MS170 woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken12

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I aquired this little 170 for a song not long ago. The issue is that the saw will not run with the air filter box installed. Remove the box and she runs like a champ. Seems to be choking out the saw when installed. I had another used carb that I tried to no avail. Same with the new carb. Compression is good (140) and the choke plate is free and clear of obstruction. I have done/tried everything I know to do. Anyone have any ideas or have had this happen to them? Thanks in advance.

It's not the air filter. I have removed it and I get the same results. I'm really stumped on this one.

What happens when you run it with the box installed, but the top cover removed?
I get the same result no matter what I do unless I completely remove the box and bolt the carb up without it. She runs like a champ then. I'm at a loss here.

I get the same result no matter what I do unless I completely remove the box and bolt the carb up without it. She runs like a champ then. I'm at a loss here.
Well, the filter box itself must be closing or blocking the choke, because with the top off, the air filter is "bypassed".

Remove the spark plug, take a very good picture of it and post it here. That should say if it's running too rich.

Also check if the the air filter cover is genuine or otherwise: on B&S engines it's not uncommon for poorly made aftermarket filter covers/housing to cause enough air flow disruption as to result in a non-running condition.

I think I figured it out. This whole time I have tried it without the orange top cover. I put the top on and she fired up! Is this common to these saws?

Actually, the top cover just seals a chamber above the air filter, so the air must come up through the box, through the bottom of the filter, into the chamber, then down into the carb throat.

I meant more around the throttle linkage area.... I had a guy want to trade me a new ms180 for a 180 I had.... I said let me see your saw.....turns out his kill switch lever was just bent some and the throttle linkage was bent....could have really stuck it to him, but I ain't into that, just fixed it for the old guy and he was thrilled!!!!

Yeah, those models have had some problems in that area, like the master throttle lever popping out of its holder.
That is why I was asking for pics.
Yes sir, excactly what I was thinking when I started reading this.... as you stated the cover is basically just to hold airfilter down and direct the air flow....

I have also seen the throttle linkage bind up when the saw is held like you would be making a felling cut on a tree....

Back