Stihl MS171 - Will only start with carb cleaner then stops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjmdata

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Stihl MS171 chainsaw has never had any problems starting before. Now it just won't start. Admittedly it was left for a while with old fuel in. I changed the fuel, the air filter is clean, there is a spark from the spark plug. Also checked the fuel filter in the tank and that's fine.

I bought some carb cleaner and sprayed into, what I think is the choke. It started and ran for about 10-15 seconds then stopped. I managed to rev it a couple of times but again it stopped.

While I have an idea how a petrol engine works, I'm no mechanic. Was thinking to take off the carburettor but can't see how and can't find any help online.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Andrew

I think it’s the two screws on the side of the rear handle, two nuts on the air filter base, the choke and throttle linkage and it should pull off. Take pictures as you go so you remember how it goes back together.

I think it’s the two screws on the side of the rear handle, two nuts on the air filter base, the choke and throttle linkage and it should pull off. Take pictures as you go so you remember how it goes back together.
I'll give it a go. Thanks!

If changing your carb does not help, you probably have a crack in your fuel line somewhere.

These type of in tank pickup will harden and crack. I keep 5 or so around for my saws to have on hand.
1bc9bf51e5901573015ef7ad951700aa.jpg

Latest posts

Back