Stihl MS200T Aftermarket Piston and Cylinder Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ported one 200T, and that was several years ago. I would run it down to .016" if that's what you end up with without a gasket. Might take Matt up on his suggestion of installing a Caber ring while you're in there.

I've only ported one 200T, and that was several years ago. I would run it down to .016" if that's what you end up with without a gasket. Might take Matt up on his suggestion of installing a Caber ring while you're in there.

We might, I want to see where its at after break in. There are a few things I am thinking, but Cabers or if I can get a decent deal on OEM rings I may go that route too. I haven't priced either, and am actually out of the loop on this 200T stuff. I have had two, and two 201t's- and for the price I would prefer the 201.

It might be a different saw but I am doing a couple 200t's right now... Need a new top end, and will have Randy send me a top end and caber's. I'll report back with compression from this top end with base gasket delete and caber's.

This saw will also go to a tree service for heavy abuse...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I need to put a new piston/cylinder on an MS200t. Has anyone got any experience of the Hyway aftermarket cylinder/piston?
This post suggested it looks ok but compression was a bit down.
Any other recommendations?
The saw is going to be used commercially but is already well used so I don't want to put more $$$ into it than I need to to get it running ok.

I used two three months ago. One didn't hold up very well, it's down to 120 psi on two tanks. A tear down revealed the rings were trash and the plating just above the cylinder was worn. I think the cylinder was not exactly round. The second is at 145 psi without a gasket and doing well. I'm going to try another myself.... Both are tree service saws! If I thought they were going to be a problem, I'd pull the sales. I've got several others out there with no word about failure or success either really.

This is a new product were carrying http://www.weedeaterman.com/product_p/h30201.htm

Maybe the solution? And I haven't tried this one myself yet... looking for a 200T to use one on here too!

I lost this thread myself, glad you brought it back up. Havent been on here as much lately. I stopped in the guys shop that used/ tested the kit (this week actually), the saw is still in use. Piston and cylinder still a-ok, he did replace the rings with OEM which remedied the compression issue. He has had the same experience with some other AM kits, and has remedied this by using OEM rings, but has just started ordering Cabers. We both felt the fit/ finish was real nice on the cylinder, one of the nicer AM kits I have seen to date (real nice looking plating, clean looking casting, consistent port chamfering).

I have three tree crews running these kits, ZERO issues. One crew can't keep a saw running much past a month because of abuse they subject the saws to. I think they use them for pounding in posts and chopping wood. That saw is now going on about 4 months.
Were the P&C another AM brand when they couldn't keep them going for a month?

I used two three months ago. One didn't hold up very well, it's down to 120 psi on two tanks. A tear down revealed the rings were trash and the plating just above the cylinder was worn. I think the cylinder was not exactly round. The second is at 145 psi without a gasket and doing well. I'm going to try another myself.... Both are tree service saws! If I thought they were going to be a problem, I'd pull the sales. I've got several others out there with no word about failure or success either really.

This is a new product were carrying http://www.weedeaterman.com/product_p/h30201.htm

Maybe the solution? And I haven't tried this one myself yet... looking for a 200T to use one on here too!

I just followed your link and bought one.......I'm building a 200T for myself. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

Guess I'll give it a go with some decent rings then.
Thanks

Were the P&C another AM brand when they couldn't keep them going for a month?
They were OEM. His crew is a bunch of yahoos and one in particular. Thinks he can fix saws and you can't tell him anything. Last week they wanted an MS 250 for a ground saw... no problems. It came back three times because they were flooding it..... The fix, I showed up on site and showed them how to start and tune a saw. Should have seen that spectacle and my opinion of the 250 is changed! 16" fully buried in white oak and pushing down hard, I did a MM to it and that thing flat cuts. They want another one like yesterday!

I've got about 400.00 into one already. I have a good OEM top end for it, but am going to try the weedeaterman top end instead......

It's my own saw.......we use a MS150 and a 200T quite a bit when we cut firewood. I don't know how anyone can manage without a top handle saw.
I have been using them since they first came out . Nothing but carb problems the whole time! Now there seems to be the accelerator pump fix that I did in a couple of them and its working so far. I can tell you the Meteor pistons work well but not the C clips!

Latest posts

Back