Stihl MS200T Aftermarket Piston and Cylinder Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said"I used two three months ago. One didn't hold up very well, it's down to 120 psi on two tanks. A tear down revealed the rings were trash and the plating just above the cylinder was worn. I think the cylinder was not exactly round. The second is at 145 psi without a gasket and doing well. I'm going to try another myself.... Both are tree service saws! If I thought they were going to be a problem, I'd pull the sales. I've got several others out there with no word about failure or success either really"

And your point? I sell aftermarket parts not OEM. I guess I could use OEM if I wanted to but I don't because of the cost..... sure, reliability may be better and then again maybe not... we all know that if OEM was as good as everyone wants to believe, then nobody would ever need a replacement part because of failure.

And saws would last forever if you didn't cut very much.

The thread was about an aftermarket parts review, not a "should I use OEM" question, nor did it ask that. You don't have a dog in the fight... as in you've never used this product but you felt that you needed to tell the OP and others that do read these threads to not bother buying the product? How about the guys who can't afford to buy a new OEM kit... but need to continue working to feed there families as cheaply as possible. I have about 6 or so tree companies that use my aftermarket products with great success. They tell me almost every day that business is tough, every Joe Blow with a saw is in business and they can't afford to miss a single opportunity. Every dollar out of there pocket is a dollar not on the table.

Maybe I've become a little sensitive to replies from people who've never used the product, my products ... but I don't appreciate comments like "I wouldn't use one based on my experience" or comments to that effect, especially if you've never used one.

I'll be the first to call it a POS "based on my experience" if it is.....Thank you very much. A chainsaw is an expensive machine, lets let the guys who choose to buy aftermarket parts continue to receive real experience observations instead of hearsay.

Randy

And your point? I sell aftermarket parts not OEM. I guess I could use OEM if I wanted to but I don't because of the cost..... sure, reliability may be better and then again maybe not... we all know that if OEM was as good as everyone wants to believe, then nobody would ever need a replacement part because of failure.

And saws would last forever if you didn't cut very much.

The thread was about an aftermarket parts review, not a "should I use OEM" question, nor did it ask that. You don't have a dog in the fight... as in you've never used this product but you felt that you needed to tell the OP and others that do read these threads to not bother buying the product? How about the guys who can't afford to buy a new OEM kit... but need to continue working to feed there families as cheaply as possible. I have about 6 or so tree companies that use my aftermarket products with great success. They tell me almost every day that business is tough, every Joe Blow with a saw is in business and they can't afford to miss a single opportunity. Every dollar out of there pocket is a dollar not on the table.

Maybe I've become a little sensitive to replies from people who've never used the product, my products ... but I don't appreciate comments like "I wouldn't use one based on my experience" or comments to that effect, especially if you've never used one.

I'll be the first to call it a POS "based on my experience" if it is.....Thank you very much. A chainsaw is an expensive machine, lets let the guys who choose to buy aftermarket parts continue to receive real experience observations instead of hearsay.

Randy
I don't think that OEM parts being good are hearsay! What if you put aftermarket in and it breaks then what did you save? Didn't you say your self one of the kits wore out right away or did I read that wrong? I was just suggesting OEM you guys can do what you want ,what do I know I only been doing this 40 years and own 7 of them now! Sorry to step on your sales. Maybe you should send me a test kit and i can run it this upcoming season and review it for you.

I was trying to say that comments about the parts are appreciated if you have direct knowledge. There is a chance you take on any part, OEM maybe a little less or maybe not.... I stand behind mine... wasn't trying to make anybody mad, I'm a little protective of my stuff, I've put a lot of effort into this whole deal.

Like you, been doing saw stuff for that long as well... I appreciate any feedback, yours included. Maybe next time I'm up your way (Philly for work) we could get together and talk saws, I'll bring a kit with me and we can have a soda or something like that?

Randy

I was trying to say that comments about the parts are appreciated if you have direct knowledge. There is a chance you take on any part, OEM maybe a little less or maybe not.... I stand behind mine... wasn't trying to make anybody mad, I'm a little protective of my stuff, I've put a lot of effort into this whole deal.

Like you, been doing saw stuff for that long as well... I appreciate any feedback, yours included. Maybe next time I'm up your way (Philly for work) we could get together and talk saws, I'll bring a kit with me and we can have a soda or something like that?

Randy
I ain't mad ,you seem Ok.

Just lightening the mood friends.....

I use a bunch of AM top ends from Weedeaterman.....and I call it like it is. Those guys are great to deal with.....period.

On any kit that I saw an issue with, I let them know, and they responded with a solution, and in some cases the kits were pulled from production.

I disagree with what some guys think of as good in the BB kits, but that's not because of the quality of the kit, but rather because of the timing numbers that I would rather see in them. That's just because I'm damn picky about those numbers.

If these 200T kits are half as good as the kits I've gotten from them for the 372, 7900, 026, 046, 044, 288, and so on.....I'll be very happy.

One other thing I gotta say about Weedeaterman.com then I'll shut up. I made an order awhile back, and Henry was running a special that had a coupon code. I didn't input the code and take advantage of the discount. Well in a few minutes my phone rang. It was Henry wanting to know why I didn't use the code. Now that my friends is customer service.

From experience I wasted a bunch of money buying OEM parts when I started rebuilding saws. Finally when I needed to rebuild 3 TS400's, top and bottom, I tried out Weedeaterman. It cost me about $200/saw for their best top end and bottom end parts. The Tecomec cylinders, rings and pistons are really nice and the Chinese crankshafts, bearings, seals and gasket sets are running fine cutting flag stone for a landscaper.

I liked the stuff so well I bought a Chinese Carburetor(for a MS390), muffler, waterkit, etc....

No problems with anything. If Weedeaterman has what I need, I'm buying from them.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Well I've just put a meteor piston and hyway cylinder on an MS200T. Compression was 140psi after it had cooled from 5 minutes of idling/couple of cuts. Only time will tell how it performs I guess.

I just got my Hyway 200T cylinder at the same time I ordered a lower-end 036 kit. Biiggggg difference between the Hyway and other AM kits.
I'll be keeping the Hyway piston in this one but did the caber ring upgrade.

Back