Stihl MS200T boggs down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sniffy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a MS200T which is an awesome saw as you know! I'm having an aggravating problem though. It starts fine revs fine cuts fine, up until about 2 min into a cut then bogs down and if you nurse the trigger and shake a bit you may keep running but once it starts to do that its endless fighting it. The compression is good, the gas line is good, the gas cap seal is excellent and spark fire no problem. However, after looking at the muffler (for jacked up clogged arrester screen) There is no arrester screen!! SO I think this is my problem.... If you agree then what I am looking for is my next step in what to do other than buying a new screen. Im sure gunk and whatever needs to be addressed. I really don't want to tear the whole thing down first which is why I am here, as it may not be necessary. Can anyone assist on my next steps?

Hi everyone,

I have a MS200T which is an awesome saw as you know! I'm having an aggravating problem though. It starts fine revs fine cuts fine, up until about 2 min into a cut then bogs down and if you nurse the trigger and shake a bit you may keep running but once it starts to do that its endless fighting it. The compression is good, the gas line is good, the gas cap seal is excellent and spark fire no problem. However, after looking at the muffler (for jacked up clogged arrester screen) There is no arrester screen!! SO I think this is my problem.... If you agree then what I am looking for is my next step in what to do other than buying a new screen. Im sure gunk and whatever needs to be addressed. I really don't want to tear the whole thing down first which is why I am here, as it may not be necessary. Can anyone assist on my next steps?

Shoot me a PM

Only mod you need in a 200t is throw that screen away and retune . It’s a beast . I will never put a screen back in mine !! If this was my saw the first thing I would do is flush the fuel tank and change the fuel filter . Mine did this and it was the fuel line was sucking air .. I know a few of the carbs one these not sure what exact ones you need to buy pass the accelerator pump on the carb

Its not the absence of the screen. That will help long before it hurts.

Carburetor needs cleaning, fuel filter needs replacing. Inspect spark plug, and coil gap. Its probably one of those.

Just for grins, take off the muffler and have a gander at that piston.

Its not the absence of the screen. That will help long before it hurts.

Carburetor needs cleaning, fuel filter needs replacing. Inspect spark plug, and coil gap. Its probably one of those.

Just for grins, take off the muffler and have a gander at that piston.
Not that easy on these to pull the muffler. The saw almost needs full disassembly to pull the muffler.

Try giving the carburetor a good clean and put a cheap rebuild kit in it: MS200T's and 020T's are very sensitive to carburetor conditions and those little Zama's aren't exactly the most durable carburetors ever manufactured.
If the saw still doesn't want to behave itself, just put in a new carburetor and be done with it: I have wasted enough time with Zama C1Q's and C1U's and Walbro WA's and WT's to tell you if it doesn't work at first try the carburetor is simply not worth the effort.

I don't know how much is a genuine carburetor where you live but here Mr Stihl wants about €70 for the privilege. You can buy four Chinese carburetors for that money, so it's a no-brainer. I've had good luck so far with Chinese no-name carburetors and have no problems recommending them.

Back