Stihl MS201TC Melted Side Covers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Canterbury

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently acquired a used MS201TC saw. The clutch cover and the clutch side cover panels are scorched and melted. I have no idea what caused this because I am the second owner. Anyway, I am curious to know if others have experienced this issue in the past. I tried search this site and Google and nothing seems to come up. I did notice the saw is missing its spark arrestor. There were some comments on the interwebs stating it could cause some issues, but I don't know it they are valid claims or not. Anyway, if you have seen this before and have some ideas as to what the root cause is on this saw, please let me know.

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 41
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 36
Can you tell if it has been modified in any way? Looks like a lean issue or run long and hard without any cool down periods.
It may be due to the epa lock down on that saw and the strato saws seem to run hotter

Thank you for the document. This confirms the heat shield I saw under the muffler is actually suppose to be there. However, a rivet seems to be missing on one side. I was also concerned about some of the torque specifications while reassembling the saw today. This document will really help with that and several other future repairs. Thank you for sharing this information.

I am still perplexed about the melted plastic though.

Can you tell if it has been modified in any way? Looks like a lean issue or run long and hard without any cool down periods.
It may be due to the epa lock down on that saw and the strato saws seem to run hotter

There are no muffler mods that I can see other than the removal of the spark arresting screen. The saw was packed full of black crud. I suspect that could of had something to do with. The chain brake wouldn't function without a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning of the linkage with the clutch cover. The cylinder fins were clogged up bad too.

The spark arresting screen screw is still in place. I'll get in touch with my dealer and order a new screen to prevent any further damage. Thanks again for your insight.

Do a search for my thread "Clutch abuse" Jan 6, 2017. Will explain how clutch side gets overheated.

I took a look at your post and this is not the issue. The scorch marks are perfectly in line with the spark arrestor screen port. I think Mr. Snelling nailed it by identifying this as the culprit. The sad part is the owner of the Stihl dealership I went to suggested it was a blown out muffler. His credibility just went out the window as far diagnosing probable cause with me.

Brad,

I picked up a new screen, chopped off the cover and installed the cover. Maybe it would have been better to have found a small piece of tin to cut a patch out of instead of ruining a perfectly good spark arrestor. As long as it doesn't melt anymore plastic panels I'll be content with it.

** Never mind - I found a post on this ** I do have another question. Is it normal for these saws to seep bar oil? I put new bar oil and gas caps on it today because it appeared as if the oil cap may have been leaking slightly. I'm wondering if I should prepare myself for a bar oiler pump replacement soon too. The oil appears to be flowing slowly from the channel where it enters the hole in the bar.

Brad,

I picked up a new screen, chopped off the cover and installed the cover. Maybe it would have been better to have found a small piece of tin to cut a patch out of instead of ruining a perfectly good spark arrestor. As long as it doesn't melt anymore plastic panels I'll be content with it.

** Never mind - I found a post on this ** I do have another question. Is it normal for these saws to seep bar oil? I put new bar oil and gas caps on it today because it appeared as if the oil cap may have been leaking slightly. I'm wondering if I should prepare myself for a bar oiler pump replacement soon too. The oil appears to be flowing slowly from the channel where it enters the hole in the bar.
Oh yeah, all ours drip a lot. Even brand new.

Back