Stihl MS250 or Husq 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw is better? Stihl MS250 or Husqvarna 346xp

• Stihl MS250

• Husqvarna 346xp

Results are only viewable after voting.

spoons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All, new guy here and had a few questions.

I'm just a casual homeowner that needs to cut down a few small trees in my back yard. I'm not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined and fix all my own cars and boats.

Last week I picked up a couple chainsaws from a guy. He sold me a working Stihl MS250 and a non working Husq 353 (or so he thought, but he basically threw in the Husq for free). The sticker on the side was worn away. Anyway, the Stihl has original bar and chain and is sharp and runs great. Compression is so good I pulled a ligament or muscle in my right arm. The Husq doesn't have the original bar but has a sharp chain. Both bars are 18".

I finally got time to start pulling apart the Husq and to my surprise the serial number plate shows that it's a 346xp saw. I ordered a cheap kit off eBay that also came yesterday but they sent a completely wrong kit. So it's going back. My original intentions were to rebuild the Husq and sell it or the Stihl and keep one basically getting 1 of the saws for free. Now that i've discovered it's a 346xp, I'm more inclined to order a Mahle P&C kit and return it all back to factory.

Question is: which saw is the better saw? And guys, I only need one saw. :) Thanks in advance and I love this site!

Hey All, new guy here and had a few questions.

I'm just a casual homeowner that needs to cut down a few small trees in my back yard. I'm not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined and fix all my own cars and boats.

Last week I picked up a couple chainsaws from a guy. He sold me a working Stihl MS250 and a non working Husq 353 (or so he thought, but he basically threw in the Husq for free). The sticker on the side was worn away. Anyway, the Stihl has original bar and chain and is sharp and runs great. Compression is so good I pulled a ligament or muscle in my right arm. The Husq doesn't have the original bar but has a sharp chain. Both bars are 18".

I finally got time to start pulling apart the Husq and to my surprise the serial number plate shows that it's a 346xp saw. I ordered a cheap kit off eBay that also came yesterday but they sent a completely wrong kit. So it's going back. My original intentions were to rebuild the Husq and sell it or the Stihl and keep one basically getting 1 of the saws for free. Now that i've discovered it's a 346xp, I'm more inclined to order a Mahle P&C kit and return it all back to factory.

Question is: which saw is the better saw? And guys, I only need one saw. :) Thanks in advance and I love this site!
not even in the same league! 250 is clamshell design and 346 is a pro-saw

not even in the same league! 250 is clamshell design and 346 is a pro-saw

Forgive me as i'm relatively new to chainsaws but what's the difference technically between a regular saw and a "pro saw"? Does it rev higher? Is it built to run 12hrs a day? Will a regular saw not run 12hrs a day? Real questions....i'm a newbie compared to some of you.

I'm not sure you are comparing the right saw to stihl. One is a 300 dollar saw and the other is about twice as much.

That said, the better saw is the husq.

I would buy a new oem top end for the 346. You can get a oem top end kit for 140 shipped. Be sure to pressure and vacuum test it and check the bearings for wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the price went up? Earlier this year you could get them for under $100.

I see them for about $107 on eBay. Not too bad if I want to bring it back to 100% stock and OEM specs, which is what i'm going to do based on what everyone is saying. Filet mignon and corvette is hard to just turn away. I still want to know what the functional and technical difference is.... maybe as a home user with 5 trees I won't notice, but I am curious... Thanks guys.

I see them for about $107 on eBay. Not too bad if I want to bring it back to 100% stock and OEM specs, which is what i'm going to do based on what everyone is saying. Filet mignon and corvette is hard to just turn away. I still want to know what the functional and technical difference is.... maybe as a home user with 5 trees I won't notice, but I am curious... Thanks guys.
An MS250 and a 346 in CA for maintenance of five trees? You'll fit right in here...

The MS250 is pretty good for a plastic clamshell saw. It's power/weight ratio is not that far off of similar size Stihl pro saws.

The one drawback is that they can be hard to pull over.

Yes. I hurt my damn right elbow real bad the other day. Still hurting today. I have to put the saw on the floor and pull with two hands to get it to fire. Thankfully after I figured out the starting procedure, I can get it to fire in 2-3 pulls.

An MS250 and a 346 in CA for maintenance of five trees? You'll fit right in here...

hahahaha I was originally just going to buy the Husqvarna and rebuild it but he offered me both saws for real cheap (under 2 c-notes) that I couldn't resist.

much snappier response and overall quality of build in the Husky. You're going to love comparing the two. Huge difference in feel and performance.

Back