Stihl Ms250 vs echo cs 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Currently the stihl is 299 on sale and the echo is 349 but can be had one line for about 300 shipped as well

I like the ergonomics and weight of the 490 better. The 250 has better fit and finish. The 490 really needs a muffler mod. If willing to do that then I would say the 490. If not then pretty close. See if you can cut with both at local dealers

I like the ergonomics and weight of the 490 better. The 250 has better fit and finish. The 490 really needs a muffler mod. If willing to do that then I would say the 490. If not then pretty close. See if you can cut with both at local dealers
Feom what I seen the ms250 is 10.1 lbs and the 490 is 10.6 I'm not sure if that's weighed with bars on or not probably just the power head then it's 18 vs 20 inch

Both saws will run best with 18" bars or smaller. The 250 is a plastic case saw the 490 has a magnesium case. The air filtration will be a little better on the Echo as well, but it's not a big deal. Reliability will be fine with both saws so again no big difference there.

I personally prefer mag case saws, and it's nice to be able to order parts online instead of relying on a local dealer, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on the dealer. When it comes to quality, both are built to come in at a specific price point, and for what they are, they're not bad little saws for the money.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Never ran the echo, seems to be people love them.... I hope to run one soon to see for myself....

As far as the ms250, it's a tough saw, years ago it was my ONLY saw.... I used it hard then and still do sometimes just to get her out.... The saw runs today as it did 6 or more years ago.....would buy one agian if I didn't have 6-7 saws I don't use now!!!!!

Latest posts

Back