Stihl MS251 worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I stopped by a trash pile to pick up a Mcculloch chainsaw and I picked up that one plus its twin. I also picked up 2 Stihl MS251 from the same trash pile. I finally got to tinkering with them tonight. The one Mac runs, one 251 runs, the other 251 is missing the starter rope so I wasnt able to test it. Heres the kicker.....Both 251 were stripped down to the power head only, missing the top cover, chain brake, clutch cover and all screws for said components. With that being said, is the one that runs worth buying the pieces to make it complete? Again, the other 251 is untested, due to no starter rope so I have spare parts if needed. it also appears to be missing 1 stud for the bar....both of them. Why would they be torn down to the same stage?
what do you guys think? besides I SUCK!!

Cheesy enough for a homeowner though, which is what they are marketed to, just like the 250. I've run both and like the 250 but the 251, when tuned in correctly really is a better saw minus the added weight.

The 251 reminds me of a wife, heavier over time...but still worth the investment.

Back