Stihl MS261 C-M 3/8 Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfiend

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at the above model with either a 16 or 18 inch bar and chain. I was thinking about getting it with a 3/8 chain, but in the book the dealer could not find it so he called the distributor and they said that it can be done, but they found that the saw had a higher failure because of using smaller shafts and bearings than the larger pro saws. So my question is have any of you guys experienced any of these problems? Also, what are your thoughts on 16 vs. 18 in. bar on that saw? I have a 362 with a 3/8 (I believe) 20" bar at my disposal.

Thanks for the replies.

No way I would dispose of a MS 362 20"... I would take it out and cut wood! I'm pretty sure there is no difference in kerf size between .050 and .063 drivers, but nobody will agree on that. Also, no one will ever agree on which drive pitch is best for the MS 261 C-M, so you might as well try .404 and let the rest of us know.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/index.php?threads/238484/

The 261 Mastermind built for my dad wears an 18" 3/8 with full comp RS chain. I would go for .063 gauge.

I think Mastermind has a video of a ported 261 pulling a 3/8 25" bar buried.

You could probably get away with a 20" 3/8 bar on a 261 as long as you don't run it buried all the time.

I'd go to a different dealer. The 261 has been a very reliable platform regardless of the chain that is run on it. The 261's will handle 3/8" chain not a problem and I ran it on my 261 on a 20" bar. On a 16" or 18" bar 3/8" chain would be my choice over .325" and basically the choice of every experienced member on this forum. Even the fully ported 261's by Brad Snelling or Mastermind have not had any bearing failures and the power output of these is significantly higher than a stock saw.

3/8" is built with a heavier chassis, will wear better, will last longer, and there is a wider variety of c hain choices on the market.

When you run .375 chain on that MS261, get the chain, guide bar and sprocket in .050 gauge instead of .063 which is what is on your 362. It is the more narrow kerf that will keep you from having premature bearing failure.

The kerf is the same on 3/8" chain whether it's .050" or .063". You are thinking of gauge.

OKey. Why does Stihl call for .050 3/8 chain on the 260/261?

Because you are in the US where .050" is Stihl's standard chain gauge - on longer bars you'll tend to find more and more .063" but even then that depends on which part of the US you are in. In Australia the 261's are supplied with 3/8" .063" chain which is Stihl Australia's standard gauge in .325" and 3/8". It is a regional thing and nothing to do with kerf.
The cutter part # from Stihl is exactly the same regardless of the gauge. It is exactly the same cutter across .050", .058", and .063".

When you run .375 chain on that MS261, get the chain, guide bar and sprocket in .050 gauge instead of .063 which is what is on your 362. It is the more narrow kerf that will keep you from having premature bearing failure.
That is completely regional. You will not find .063 3/8 chain anywhere in my area, and rarely in the Northwest. .050x3/8 will work fine on that saw. The 3/8 sprocket is listed in the IPL for the 261. I converted one yesterday for a guy that owned dozens of 3/8 chains for his older Stihl products and wasn't about to convert to .325.

Let's try to get some good information stuck this thread. These are questions I think people need to ask about gauge and pitch.

What does gauge affect?

What are the differences between pitch?

What suits my cutting better?

No way I would dispose of a MS 362 20"... I would take it out and cut wood! I'm pretty sure there is no difference in kerf size between .050 and .063 drivers, but nobody will agree on that. Also, no one will ever agree on which drive pitch is best for the MS 261 C-M, so you might as well try .404 and let the rest of us know.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/index.php?threads/238484/

"At my disposal" means available to use. It means nothing about getting rid of it.

Maybe you were being sarcastic, but it failed to register.

To the OP.

Figure out what's available in your area and go with what's common. I for one, have no issues running 3/8 LP on a 50cc saw. Though it would require a non Stihl bar if you wanted to run an 18".

.050 LP chain is pretty universal.

I told him to use .050x3/8" chain on the 261 if he wants to run .375 chain and so did Stihl. .063 x 3/8 Stihl RSC is all I run on larger Stihls regularly. .063 x .325 RSC is all I run on 026/261 Stihls. No trouble getting it. I've got hundreds of feet.
My response was geared to the fact you assumed that his 362 is running .063, which it may not be. I cannot order a 362 with .063 3/8 chain from my Stihl distributor (Stihl NW). He did not list his location, so we have no clue what is available in his area.

The only Stihl Pro saws in the US for which the standard gauge is .050 x .375 is the MS201T. That is 3/8 pitch by .050 gauge picco micro cutter shape. The rest are supplied with .063 x.325 and .063 x .375. At the dealership level, perhaps regionally you are offered something lighter.
This is also incorrect. The standard for 441 and 461 in our area is .050 3/8, but the .063 is available. Our 201T's come with .50x.375 PICCO, which is a whole other discussion :D

I told him to use .050x3/8" chain on the 261 if he wants to run .375 chain and so did Stihl. .063 x 3/8 Stihl RSC is all I run on larger Stihls regularly. .063 x .325 RSC is all I run on 026/261 Stihls. No trouble getting it. I've got hundreds of feet.

I agree that the width of the tooh causes the width of the kerf. It has to be wider than the guide bar, right?

The only Stihl Pro saws in the US for which the standard gauge is .050 x .375 is the MS201T. That is 3/8 pitch by .050 gauge picco micro cutter shape. The rest are supplied with .063 x.325 and .063 x .375. At the dealership level, perhaps regionally you are offered something lighter.
Are you suggesting that the gauge of the chain affects the width of the cutter?

Yeah the chain's kerf does have to be wider than the guide bar. Normally that isn't an issue but running 3/8" noses and chain on some of the longer GB Ti Extra Long bars can cause issues as can running NK .325" chain on normal .325" bars on the odd occasion.
It depends which area of the US you are in regarding chain gauge. Every single larger US delivered Stihl saw I have been sent is in 3/8" .050" standard (not picco). I've had dozens of larger pro Stihls sent to me over the years. Like myself and others said earlier it depends which part of the US you are in and even what your dealer preferences are.

Your words sure look to me that you are confusing gauge with kerf. As stated by others, .375 chain, whether it is .050 gauge or .063 gauge, will have the same kerf.

Waylan

The MS362 is my dads. The chain is 1.3mm or 0.05". Also I am from Northeast WI.
So, none of you guys had any problems with a 261 using 3/8 chain?
And Thanks for all the replies so far.

OMy 261oe from Randy (in TN) came with a choice IIRC of 18" .325, .050 or .063. Chose the .063. Changed b/c to 18" 3/8 .063, fantastic, same but 20" works fine for me too. When I bought the 18" the Stihl dealer tried to persuade me to go 16“, I said it was modified and he just turned round and got the 18"
EDIT- the original .325 18“ chisel b/c cut real fast and worked well but grabbed a little too much in hardwood and dulled quicker, all my other saws run 3/8 .063 so just matched up.

For those that know, my 261 has no mounting holes in the clutch cover for dogs, can I change the clutch cover to fit dual dogs and what will fit? 441? Something less prone to filling with noodles would be good, are twin dogs standard on the 261cm?
Cheers all, Andy

Last edited:
For those that know, my 261 has no mounting holes in the clutch cover for dogs, can I change the clutch cover to fit dual dogs and what will fit? 441? Something less prone to filling with noodles would be good, are twin dogs standard on the 261cm?
Cheers all, Andy

You'll find the indents for where to drill holes under the nylon chain guides in the clutch cover. Just pop the two nylon guides out with a screwdriver and you'll see where to drill. Very easy to do. From memory it is either the MS361 or MS362 dual spikes that will fit the 261. All you will need is longer bolts.

No. 3/8" chain is fine on a 261.
The expert I talked to was Randy Evans about what size chain to use, either .325 or 3/8 on a 261, as I have read a lot over the past two years about this concerning 50cc. Either is fine for whatever reason you may have. .325 on a ported 50cc isn't gonna over rev or wear out the saw!!

Back