Stihl MS270 Kill Switch (with pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levi of the North

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Trying to fix a friend's MS270 right now and I can't figure out what's wrong. Kill switch doesn't seem to worked when flipped to the up-most position.

I suspected that dirt covering the electrical contact points might be the problem (saw was filthy) so I stripped it down, cleaned it, and put it back together again. That hasn't fixed the problem though. I'm wondering if I've re-assembled it incorrectly?

Pics below in order:
1 - "run" position
2 - "off" position

To my knowledge, a kill switch works by connecting the back and white wires. In the "off" position, these don't seem to be touching. However, the spring seems to be in the correct position because cycling through start/run/off positions feels correct. What am I doing wrong here?

If I can be certain that the issue is not how I've assembled it, then maybe I've got a bad wire... trying to figure this out by process of elimination.
Run.jpeg

Off.jpeg

In the off position the face must make contact with the metal. I cant see what the two surfaces look like but in the off they make contact and ground out to kill. You may have to reshape the wire to match the opposite surface to make a clean matting surface. If you have a volt meter with OHMs you can start testing conductivity between wire ends for breaks.

PV Hiker - Thank you, those are exactly the clear and idiot-proof instructions I needed. Much obliged.

What had me held up for a while was that: when the spring was bent to sit in the correct position, it would get caught on one part of the toggle wheel. Had to re-shape it a fair bit to get it to work smoothly. It's all good now though!

Thanks all, this forum is great.

Back