Stihl MS270 oiler question, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It is not my saw but one that I'm using in my volunteer work as a bucker/splitter etc etc. for one of our local community efforts. I ran a couple of tanks through it today, finally, and with the help of a very sweet lady managed a load for a worthy family. This is the problem, I don't think it is oiling as well as it should, with the last tank of gas there was still half a tank of oil, I'm use to saws running close to one and one, the oil is also not running along the bar to any noticable degree (not spitting off the end) when I rev it up. The manual is lost in space, the search function here is not working for me, and I figure this is quicker than trying to get info from the Stihl site (which I find a limited resource compared to the knowledge here)......
My stupid Q du-jour, Is the oiler adjustable? If so, where and how? I'd rather ask here than start taking it apart and find nothing to do. This is a new saw with less than 30hrs on it (cuts very nicely for a little guy) and the shop is closed, no help there. I'll be bucking again tomorrow morning for a bit more (large dry pine and fir) and need a simple answer, I don't want to burn the bar up (no sign of this yet btw). Thank you in advance for anyone that can give me an answer.

:cheers:

Serge

According to the info I looked up, the oiler of the MS270/280 is not adjustable.

You can find a user manual on Stihls web-site.....

Edit; Here it is.

If bar and chain is Stihl, be aware that the oiliomatic system to a degree reduce the amount of oil needed, and also tend to put the oil where it is needed, and not at the outside of the bar - but some oil should be tossed off the tip of the bar anyway....

Last edited:
Thank you so very much sawtroll, I suspected as much and will act accordingly, this wee puppy will be running veggie oil perty quick too soon as the other is used up, hmmmm, might just mix em too. Anyhow, I see I have little cause for concern but will keep a close eye on the bar for any untoward discoloration. I must add that having a decomp valve was a real elbow saver even on such a small saw, quite a noticable difference on cold starts, and the anti-vibe system seems very good for the size of it. Cuts well, though it will bog a bit when buried in big wood and too much dog leverage pressure, bit of chip fouling too but nothing pulling out and a bit of RPMs didn't cure. All in all a pleasure to run, we'll see after some bigger hours are on it. My only complaint, and its sorrta dumb, is that I'm too big for it and the short bar (a 20") certainly gives my back a workout, this will get me off my butt and get the 08s up and running again for the bigger endeavors. :D Thanks again!

Edit> tyvm for pdf file link, downloaded, saved, and read! :)

Last edited:
Veggie oil will sure help, and is what I use on my newer saws.

Less is needed, and more is put out, at a given oiler setting - at least with Husky Veg-Oil. :clap: :clap:

After much reading here and valuing the opines of the knowledgeable masses, checkin' their links etc., this pup will be a canola girl, straight up, no tackiness, and if da king should show up on her door step one lonely knight, when the queen has turned her back, the only wildy thingies produced will be happy screams, the dogs are splayed. Might add some frenchfry oil just to remind me to eat (jk jk), I foresee no problems except with my diet/weight, down to a nice trim 245 and stayin there lol.

:rockn: :rockn: :D

After reading this I guess I have a stupid question. Why Vegie oil?????? Is it due to the extreme cold temps??????:confused:

lcso10 said:
After reading this I guess I have a stupid question. Why Vegie oil?????? Is it due to the extreme cold temps??????:confused:
If it is the right kind, it flows better, and less is needed, regardless of the tempoerature - but of course it makes even more sense when it is cold....

lcso10 said:
Not a stupid question by any means mate. Its not a temperature thing for me really, though being thinnner it can't but help. We usually don't get more than a couple of cold snaps up here, if any. My decision to change is based on several things, cost (cheaper), enviromental (much cleaner and healthier), family (not having to worry about petroleum contamination in your clothing etc.), and treemachine's (and others who contributed too) excellent reviews (doffs hat). I believe this thread will answer your questions>
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38827

Serge

If you're trying to be good to the environment, run your saw on something like Stihl Synthetic ULTRA mix oil also - biodegradable and not harmful to the body (so it says on the label!). Smells a lot better too!

I'd still flush your oil system out with some type of solvent now and then.. and take off your clutch drum and clutch for a 6 monthly clean out. If it turns to resin (tree sap/goo interact with the canola oil and "dries") you'll be unhappy. I'm sure this depends on the type of trees you are cutting, because some report no problems, but I see a lot of buildup in the summer on tree service saws that use Bio exclusively. You can buy a canola oil based bar lube in Seattle in 50 gallon drums. Stihl's version is expensive at $19 (list) for 5 litres - double their standard bar oil, but it is made in Europe and shipped to the USA in the 5 litre containers.. oh well..

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
If you're trying to be good to the environment, run your saw on something like Stihl Synthetic ULTRA mix oil then - biodegradable and not harmful to the body (so it says on the label!).

I'd still flush your oil out with some type of solvent now and then.. and take off your clutch drum and clutch for a 6 monthly clean out. If it turns to resin (tree sap/goo interact with the canola oil) you'll be unhappy.
Good point Andy, I'd imagine Iso or methyl-hydrate would work well for that. I found out the hard way when I left one of my cast iron pans sitting for a few months with a layer of oil in it, yuck. :(

SawTroll said:
If it is the right kind, it flows better, and less is needed, regardless of the tempoerature - but of course it makes even more sense when it is cold....

does it stick better too?

Thanks to tyhe both of you for your answers. If it was the cold temps, I knew I would never run into this. Where I live Santa comes in a tank top shirt and cut off shorts because it stays so warm. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back