stihl ms270: thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone has run the 270 and felt it to be sluggish, then they are either running a dull chain or the stock safety chain. A 270 is a superb firewood saw, and is a very quick cut through our eastern hardwoods. I have used mine bucking trunks in the 22-24" diameter and it did a fine job. If I did this every day, then yes the 270 might be underpowered. But, I suspect if you ran a saw in wood like that every day, you would already have your mind set on the 361 or 441...

I do agree with Troll that it seems silly that the 270 and 361 are nearly identical in weight. It really comes down to cash. If you have it, get the 361; I you are trying to save some, get the 270. You won't have any remorse with either.

If anyone has run the 270 and felt it to be sluggish, then they are either running a dull chain or the stock safety chain. A 270 is a superb firewood saw, and is a very quick cut through our eastern hardwoods. I have used mine bucking trunks in the 22-24" diameter and it did a fine job. If I did this every day, then yes the 270 might be underpowered. But, I suspect if you ran a saw in wood like that every day, you would already have your mind set on the 361 or 441...

I do agree with Troll that it seems silly that the 270 and 361 are nearly identical in weight. It really comes down to cash. If you have it, get the 361; I you are trying to save some, get the 270. You won't have any remorse with either.

+1 on the 270/280 saws. They really are nice, underrated saws.

If you've ever cut with a 361 you'd know that it handles and feels much bigger than the 270/280 saws in the cut.

Mine was not impressive at all when I bought it. It cut slow. Then I modded the muffler and wow!!! The thing came alive. I love it and it is my pick out of the line up.

I tried a competators saw with the spring antivibe. It is not any better than the rubber mounts.

Old thread but had to comment on this comment. What was the competitors saw a craftsman? Even true blue die hard stihl guys are praising the new mounts, and if you run on for more than an hour you will never go back to the rubber buffers

Old thread but had to comment on this comment. What was the competitors saw a craftsman? Even true blue die hard stihl guys are praising the new mounts, and if you run on for more than an hour you will never go back to the rubber buffers

poulan pro, husky and stihl. The poulan pro felt like it was going to fall apart if you tried to pull up on the rear handle.

I just feel that there is not much difference.

poulan pro, husky and stihl. The poulan pro felt like it was going to fall apart if you tried to pull up on the rear handle.

I just feel that there is not much difference.

There it is. Not being a jerk but i've ran the rubber mount stihls for years and you cleaned filters every other tank and your hands shook like an alchoholic at 5 am tryin to eat soup from the vibes after work ,yet I loved each and every one. If there is one thing that has made me love the brand that much more is their new generation of saws 211, 270, 441 and so on. I love my husqvarnas but I always loved the price which is no longer the case. I was in a shop the other day that I would never buy from and they had the husky msrp sticker/ not theirs on a 372 at $829. WTF is that? I paid $649 in feb for one thats still in the box, and to be honest if it came down to sticker for sticker it would be a 441 any day, even with the strat engine. Screw the so called extra pound, it is in my opinion the new 361 on this site, the members just dont know it yet.

Stihl isn't a very good source for 50cc saws these days, specially not in the US - they are floating on very old laurels......

Stihl isn't a very good source for 50cc saws these days, specially not in the US - they are floating on very old laurels......

They've gotten better with their av and cleaner filters. As long as the reliability is still there I think they are moving in the right direction with saws like the 270 though. Most peoples issue which is my own is that my stihl dealer is two miles away my husky dealer is 17 and he no longer sells dolmar. In my field I constantly need something so stihl is winning with dealer support as I think is everyones situation.

The 270 is a great saw. The air filter needs very little cleaning and the engine runs strong, slicing through 18" hardwood easily with a sharp chain. The 270 anti-vibe makes it feel like you are not even holding on to a saw in the cut. Open up the muffler a bit in minutes with a Dremel and it really comes alive. I would rather run a 270 any day over the concrete block of a saw 290 Farm Boss. Ugh. Also, the 250 is disposable. I have owned both.

Even better than the 270 is the 280, but it costs more. The 361 weighs 1.5 pounds more wet than the 270 or 280 and after an hour spent limbing your arms really feel the weight. A 270 (or 280) is a great all around saw for firewood.

I am sure Huskys are fine saws but I have 6 Stihl dealers within 10 miles and only one Husky dealer with a couple models on display. I have never seen a Jonsered or Dolmar dealer although this forum informs me that these are good saws, too.

The 270 is state of the art and not old laurels.

Almost 100% agreement with what he said. Its a great saw, best in that part of the lineup I think for all the reasons stated.

I would go with the MS270 over the MS280. You don't get anything more for the 280 other than higher price (minuscule HP increase).

They are both the same frame. So the MS270 will hold up better in the long run.

back when i was researching my first saw purchase i was all hot and botherd by the 270 and 280 but the 400 plus price tag stoped me from getting one. i ended up with a used 359 husky. thats a hole nother story

ive also noticed after putting in my time here that more and more folks are talking very good about the 270 280 wich means the saws are proveing themselves.

but now knowing what i know now id get used 026 260 stihl and muffler modd, pull the muffler cover off and drill some exstra holes and it would be a very crisp running light weight 50cc saw.

i did exackly that, i just purchased a like new 026 pro for fraction of the new price muffler modded it and woke way up. its pulls a 18 3/8 full chisel chain very well and i like it alot. and a good saveing over the 270 and weighs less, also vibration is much less than the 310 stihl

It sounds like it worked out good for you.

Me, I needed a saw, did not have time to comb through any offerings, let alone figure out if a used one had been abused, worth buying let alone the one I wanted. I also needed help in figuring out what would work for what I was doing as that type cutting was outside my experience (I had always done some of it, but not bought nor used a saw that was oriented to just that)

I think the MS270/280s are working their way up to being the same legend as the mighty MS361 is in its categroy. I know some would call it sacrilege, but I think that you would have to be cutting 30% in the MS361 territory before you would need to make that jump (and I would skip anything in between)-maybe amend that a bit to the MS390 because of the 25 inch bar, but at that point, it probably time to go to the 361.

That said, the saw paid for itself in a couple month in reduced fuel bills, and in 3 years has substantially contributed to the family coffers.

And for me there was emotional aspects to it. I have lived in Alaska almost my entire life, and I had never owned my own saw, always used someone else s, usually working for them. So it was a once in a lifetime purchase for me.

Now I have it, if I needed something more, I have that to anchor me and gives me time to look. I don't think so, but its good forever for the job, and I can do any job I ever need with it (or can until I found one that suited, but I do not foresee that happening)

Not sure how the 026 compares, but the anti vibration ssytem on the MS270/280 is absolutely phenomenal. Vibration is not just reduced, its non existent!

:chainsawguy: //www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/chainsawguy.giflutely

i still have the 270 280 want in me. ive actialy bid on 280 blown up saw on ebay but it went well over what i was willing to bid

my 026 is very smooth not as smooth as my 359 and most say its not as smooth as the 270/280 but it is much much smoother than my ms310 i realy like the 026. i recomend one as project saw there cheap and theres lots of them.

your 270 or 280 is great littler saw everey time im at stihl dealer and they have one in stock i have to fondle it till it time to go. they sure feel very good and i dont realy notice that it alittle heavier then the 026. feels way better the 310 i rarely cut with. i realy wish my 310 was 280 ohhhwell.

you made a great purchase.

They've gotten better with their av and cleaner filters. As long as the reliability is still there I think they are moving in the right direction with saws like the 270 though. Most peoples issue which is my own is that my stihl dealer is two miles away my husky dealer is 17 and he no longer sells dolmar. In my field I constantly need something so stihl is winning with dealer support as I think is everyones situation.

If you had a Ferrari dealer 17 miles away and a Chevy dealer 2 miles away. Both cars for the same price. Which would you get ? ;)

If you had a Ferrari dealer 17 miles away and a Chevy dealer 2 miles away. Both cars for the same price. Which would you get ? ;)

On a saturday I can see your point but at 7:30 on a monday the one thats two miles away. Point being, I live in a small town of 8'000 and there is two stihl dealers. I like husqvarna just as much I just don't get there as much as I like and if I need a saw like the other day it was a phone call and ten minutes later it was prepped and in the truck. The closest dolmar dealer is at least 40 minutes away, so yes dealer support is huge for me.

I picked up a very slightly used MS 280 with a full Stihl case for less than $300 including shipping, so I think I got a great deal. It cuts great so far. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

If you are implying that the Husky is a Ferrari and the Stihl is a Chevy you are off base. They are both in the same general quality and performance.

I do not run, nor ever have run Huskys, so I have no real operating opinion of them.

I have handled them at the box store, and did not like the "feel" of them.

I did handle the Stihl, and I both liked the feel and the history I had with them and the recommendation of current owners I respect (two brothers and we never agree on anything). So when 3 of us think the same thing, well, not only a miracle, its a solid endorsement.

What I can comment on is how the MS270 has done, and by direct extension the 280 as its identical frame. I wouldn't buy the 280 just because you get it all int he 270 as a lower price and the minor hp difference isn't worth the money. I would take it used if it was taken care of.

If the MS270 of the year I bought has one fault, its the starting. I have learned the drill so its reliable, but it does start harder that I would like (though I think the newer ones have improved carb system, will not swear to it). New ones may start better.

I am happy to live with the somewhat hard start for how great it does.

I'll replace the plug one of these days and see if its just a slightly off one.

Back