Stihl MS271 Cylinder and Piston Kit, looking for source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobykanobe

Reaction score
My buddy bought a brand new Stihl MS271 and someone put regular gas in it. He ruined the piston and cylinder. The local repair shop said "not worth fixing", but if I fix it myself, I'm pretty sure I can have it free. It probably has three hours on it.

I can find the piston kit with no problems, but after 30 minutes of searching for a cylinder kit, I can only find one on eBay for $200. I'm hoping you folks who shop this stuff more often can find me another source and maybe even a better price. On one site, it seemed they had EVERY cylinder, except the MS271.

Also, are there any other parts I'll need to check to make sure they don't need replacement as well.

I'm not much of a wrench turner, but willing to try. Thanks for any advice.

Check the bearings of the crankshaft and the piston as well. If it was a "fast" death, they may be ok. You say it was a brand new model. So I think you need the new version of the piston and cylinder part no. 1141 020 1204. There was a change in the past. Price for it could be around $210.

Not sure from the initial post if the $200 was for a piston and cylinder kit only.

Google, "cylinder kit for ms 271" There are a number of hits for the 271. One is an ebay complete engine
from a new machine supposedly never run for $200. Another listing at $185 for a new OEM Stihl complete engine.
You may want crank bearings rod bearings, possibly a new crank depending on how the saw was run without oil. I ran half a tank of no oil in a new MS180. That scored the rings, piston and wall but also got one of the crank bearings. The crank journal seemed to be ok. Finished the rebuild yesterday and seems to be fine after running a tank and a half of gas through it, no load.

I did the same thing to my new MS 271. I too am having no luck finding an aftermarket cylinder. Did you find one?

Any idea if the 261 cylinder would fit? Seems to have the same setup except for the body.

-Rob

My buddy bought a brand new Stihl MS271 and someone put regular gas in it. He ruined the piston and cylinder. The local repair shop said "not worth fixing", but if I fix it myself, I'm pretty sure I can have it free. It probably has three hours on it.

I can find the piston kit with no problems, but after 30 minutes of searching for a cylinder kit, I can only find one on eBay for $200. I'm hoping you folks who shop this stuff more often can find me another source and maybe even a better price. On one site, it seemed they had EVERY cylinder, except the MS271.

Also, are there any other parts I'll need to check to make sure they don't need replacement as well.

I'm not much of a wrench turner, but willing to try. Thanks for any advice.

Well 160 is better than $220 from the dealer. Thank I will think about it.
I would prefer some aftermarket stuff that is under $100.
The MS 261 cylinder piston kit is $40... With good reviews.

I hear what your saying....just seen this and it has everything. New P/C, crank, bearings, seals.
This is one saw the Aftermarket has bypassed for some reason.

I’d check to see if the cylinder would clean up. I see some AM pistons out there. Once you get inside you can access the damage. I dought crank bearings are bad but would need cleaned up with new seals on assembly.

I absolutely appreciate your post. I forgot to factor in bearings and crank in the price. I don't need need them, but it might be nice to just replace the whole thing.
Not sure why it has been bypassed either. Really wish I would have known, I would have gone with the MS 261.

I did the same thing to my new MS 271. I too am having no luck finding an aftermarket cylinder. Did you find one?

Any idea if the 261 cylinder would fit? Seems to have the same setup except for the body.

-Rob

Unless I am mistaken no. The 271 will be a clamshell and the 261 will be a prosaw (non-clamshell) mag case.

Could we revisit the idea of placing a MS 261 aftermarket piston and cylinder kit on a MS 271 saw? I am tempted to buy and try but I don't want to deal with return if it doesn't work... Any insight on this issue would be of great help!

Back