Stihl MS310 rough start and stalls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Duxbury

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a few problems with my Stihl MS310.

Most of the time, it starts up after a few pulls and runs great. But for as long as I've had it (bought it secondhand), it'll occasionally give me a hard time getting started. The motor turns over and it starts, but after a a few seconds, it starts to sound rough, and if I give it a burst of full throttle, it'll immediately putter out. When it's in this condition, another pull of the starter will bring it right back, and if I very very lightly burst the throttle for a bit, it'll eventually get running fine.

Lately though, I've had a stranger problem. It'll be running fine and cutting, but after I let off the throttle, the saw will just stall out as it's revving down. Again, single pull will bring it back to life.

I just went through the saw and did my best to look for any obvious problems. I replaced the tank vent and the fuel line, and it has a fresh fuel pickup. None of those measures solved the problems. I also carefully took the carb apart looking for any obvious gunk or buildup and didn't find anything. Finally, I also checked the spark arresting screen in the muffler, and everything looked clear.

Any ideas? I'd be happy to find out that it's just some basic carb tuning issue, but I recently carefully reset it to stock settings.

Latest posts

Back