Stihl MS310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstarnes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a good used gas tank for a Stihl MS310. I believe the part number is 1127-020-3003.
I accidentally dropped the saw :jawdrop: and the lip from around the gas cap broke off. It doesn't affect the operation of the saw but breaking it 3 weeks into new is driving me up the wall. Also, I can't find the piece that fell off. :cry:
Thank you for your time and attention. J

jstarnes said:
Hello, I am looking for a good used gas tank for a Stihl MS310. I believe the part number is 1127-020-3003.
I accidentally dropped the saw :jawdrop: and the lip from around the gas cap broke off. It doesn't affect the operation of the saw but breaking it 3 weeks into new is driving me up the wall. Also, I can't find the piece that fell off. :cry:
Thank you for your time and attention. J

Are you sure you really broke it. There is a little triangler notch where the gas cap closes on the lip. I had a customer once who thought he had broken off a piece of the gas tank and it was that notch he was looking at. If it isn't leaking don't worry about it. That gas tank is not just a tank but part of the entire engine housing. If its not leaking its not worth the trouble to completely rip the saw apart and put back together. Thats quite a job. Take a closer look at it and be sure you really broke it. If all you see is the notch missing thats the way its made. I only question it because you say you can't find the piece that broke off, maybe it never broke at all, cross ya fingers...

Hello, yes the piece is broken. I compared it with a new saw. It is about 1/2 inch long piece missing just past the triangular shaped cap stop. It is now more like a rectuangular stop now. :chainsaw:
You are right about the repair, the saw doesn't leak and runs fine. I just have this thing about keeping my things like new. I went to the dealer today and he said that it would cost me $110 for the part and the mechanic said about $50 for labor.:jawdrop:

The mechanic (Stan) I talked to today said that he had one come in just the other day where the owner ran it with straight gas and :angry2: now he is trading it in on a new saw.
Unfortunate for me it was the wrong saw. So :givebeer: He I am looking for a replacement!!!
I don't have to replace it but I would like to.
I have checked ebay but no MS310's
Thank you for your time and attention. :greenchainsaw:

An MS 290/310/390 are all the same saw, except for the cylinder and piston/rings. A tank from one of those will also work. An 029/039 would work, but would revert to the old style cap, which many prefer to the newer one anyhow.

Ms 310

TimberPig said:
An MS 290/310/390 are all the same saw, except for the cylinder and piston/rings. A tank from one of those will also work. An 029/039 would work, but would revert to the old style cap, which many prefer to the newer one anyhow.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate all the help!!!!!
:cheers:

tanks

If you would have checked your trading post want ad. You would have seen I posted 2 days ago that 290/310/390 used tanks will work. I posted a link to 6 of them for sale for you to make it easy. Just have to know how to use the search features on ebay to get what your looking for. Good luck on the fix.

Cut4fun said:
If you would have checked your trading post want ad. You would have seen I posted 2 days ago that 290/310/390 used tanks will work. I posted a link to 6 of them for sale for you to make it easy. Just have to know how to use the search features on ebay to get what your looking for. Good luck on the fix.

Yes, thanks for the leads!!!!! I have been on the road for the past 3 days and have been unable to get to the internet. I will probably purchase one of the pieces you mentioned.
Thanks again.
:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back