stihl ms361 compared to 034av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstemple

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had a stihl 034 with a 20" bar for years which has served me well for my small farm and firewood needs. I occasionally have a need for a longer bar say 28" and have a chance to get a good used ms361 for about $300. Could I run a 28" bar with a skip chain on this and would it be a good upgrade for me? Thanks for any help, Ted

I really like my 361 but while I think it would pull a 28" full skip I don't know that I would want to run it full time with that configuration. I run a 20" full comp round chisel on mine and it pulls it pretty well. Oh yeah, VERY nice saw and I would say it would be a good upgrade/replacement for your 034.

Last edited:
Yes and yes, though I would not want to run it with the 28" very often at all. If the saw is woods ported, then you might be able to do a bit better with the longer bar, but it'll still be a 60cc saw.

Given the choice, I'd want at least 70cc for even occasional use with a 28". I usually use my 92cc Stihl 066 for 28" bar duty, and only occasionally press my 79cc Dolmar into that role.

Since you already have an 034 a 361 isnt that much of an upgrade, certainly not worth over $600.

You should go bigger to make your purchase worthwhile and get a saw around 70cc. A 361 buried in logs over 24" isnt going to be very productive, especially when you could have a high quality 70cc saw for the same money.

Ok, I'll stay with the 034 for now (I've no complaints about it as it's been a great and very reliable tool). I'll get a 70 cc saw it I really need to run a larger bar very often. Thanks for the good advice. Ted

Since you already have an 034 a 361 isnt that much of an upgrade, certainly not worth over $600.

You should go bigger to make your purchase worthwhile and get a saw around 70cc. A 361 buried in logs over 24" isnt going to be very productive, especially when you could have a high quality 70cc saw for the same money.

It is for the $300 he stated earlier. I really doudt you can get a quality saw 70cc for that price. May be wrong but I doubt it.

$300 sounds like a good price for a decent 361.
I do not think you will notice much of a power gain with it though a 25in.bar with skip should work decent especially in not so hard woods. 28, mabe , but I think thats pushing it. The 361 is smoother and has a better air cleaning system that would benifit you significantly if you run your saw more then a couple hours a day.
I wouldn't let the 034 go just cause I had a 361. You know what it will do and they are reliable so I would keep it until I had to many saws a was sure I had enough good ones.

I was looking at an 361 and my dealer informed me that the 034 has about the same poop as the 361. He said that the 034 could do anything the 361 could do so I stayed with the 034. I have a 25'' bar with a full comp chain and have no problem pulling it burried dog deep in solid ash.

Good luck

Huck

ps

I did buy an 440 to put a 30'' bar with skip for the trees to big for the 034

Latest posts

Back