Stihl MS361 Sprocket issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher969

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all...I'm not a forum newbie, but this is my first post on this forum. I've been lurking here for awhile learning what's new with chainsaws since the days when I used one regularly (Pro Mac 850) so I could make an informed choice in the used market. I'm already grateful to those who have uknowingly helped my cause.

That said, I just purchased a used Stihl MS361 from eBay, and after looking it over I discovered a couple of (minor?) issues the seller is working with me to rectify. I am curious though. The sprocket has some play in that it will move noticeably towards and away from the drum along the splines on the crankshaft...as if the splined portion of the shaft is too long. Is this normal, or should the sprocket sit tight against the drum? I can see how it might be a design feature to give the sprocket a means of adjusting to variations in chain angle, but I want to be sure so I'm not approaching the seller from a standpoint of ignorance. Overall play is about 1/3" or so.

Note: the sprocket is a rim style sprocket, not a "star" sprocket.

Thanks.

There should be some play, but 1/3" sounds like a bit much to me. Is the washer in place between the rim and the e-clip outside it?

That is totally normal. Enjoy your new saw.
:agree2:I had the chain off of the sprocket of my 361 just last night and can confirm that that has been the case as long as I have owned the saw. I think that you'll love the saw, mine has been awesome and has never given me a problem.

Happy Sawing,

adam.

The sprocket floats so that it aligns with the chain/bar properly. Star sprockets do the same thing by having a wider contact surface for the chain to ride on.

The sprocket floats so that it aligns with the chain/bar properly. Star sprockets do the same thing by having a wider contact surface for the chain to ride on.

Sort of, but the spurs (not stars) doesn't work too well in that regard, specially when worn some - that is one of several assets of the rim and drum set-up! ;)

There should be some play, but 1/3" sounds like a bit much to me. Is the washer in place between the rim and the e-clip outside it?

Yes, it's there. I checked with the service manual prior to posting, but it didn't disclose if there was supposed to be any play.

:agree2:I had the chain off of the sprocket of my 361 just last night and can confirm that that has been the case as long as I have owned the saw. I think that you'll love the saw, mine has been awesome and has never given me a problem.

Happy Sawing,

adam.

If everything I've read about the 361 is true, I have no doubt it will serve me well for its intended purposes. I'll soon find out. I still wish a friend of mine who "borrowed" my old Pro Mac and then moved away with it would have been a bit smarter though. As it was, my friend says it got to a point where it needed rebuilt, but the dealer to which he took it convinced him it was "too old to fix," sold him a consumer line Poulan instead, then told my friend he'd properly "dispose" of the Mac for him. Yeah, right!

Latest posts

Back