Stihl MS362 for a Jonsered CS2255 and some cash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepwoodbigbear

Just get me close
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have hammered out all the details and I am trading a perfect Jonsered CS2255 and some cash to get a Stihl MS362 in very good but not perfect condition. I want the Stihl MS362 because I have a 28" bar that came with the Stihl 039 and I think that is a bit much for a 039. Any opinions I think it should be a good deal.

Nothing against the Jonsered, I do like the saw, just making deals.

Two of my saws are 362cm bought new and a near new 362 (thanks Joe). I basically keep 20" on them with 25 sometimes. I don't have a 28 bar. At that point I grab 046 and 660. How does oiler do with 28 bar?

LoveStihlQuality

28" is way too big for the 362. It is CERTAINLY too big for the 039. I have tried a 25" on mine and it is right at the limit of the saw. My 362 is bone stock. I use the 25" on it in a pinch or when I am lazy and do not want to bend over as far. If you mod the 362 a 25" bar would work well.

Well I bought my 039 off craigslist, the seller said it was a 25" bar, they had trouble with it. I bought it thinking it looks bigger than a 25" bar. I measured it, it s a 28" bar. I can cut fine with it, but I did install a 20" bar and chain right away. The 039 runs great with a 20" bar.

So I have a mostly unused 28" bar I would only use for felling. I figured a ms362 would be a good match for that bar, again for occasional use.

I keep 25/24 (84 dl) on my big saws to. Easy because I have a lot of those bars and a boatload 84 dl chain loops. I do really like the 362s. If you had 1 saw, that's it.

LoveStihlQuality

Ok, I think I have hammered out all the details and I am trading a perfect Jonsered CS2255 and some cash to get a Stihl MS362 in very good but not perfect condition. I want the Stihl MS362 because I have a 28" bar that came with the Stihl 039 and I think that is a bit much for a 039. Any opinions I think it should be a good deal.

Nothing against the Jonsered, I do like the saw, just making deals.

That's one deal you should rethink, depending on the cash involved. If you seriously want a 362, maybe, again depending on the cash. Just to use the 28" bar, no, try for a larger CC Stihl.

I understand a bigger bar requires more CC's. The 28" bar came with a 039, and when I first ran the 039 that was the only chain/bar combo I had for it and it ran and cut fine. I did replace the 28" bar as soon as I could with a 20" bar and chain for the 039, now that combo impressed me.

I do understand that it is probably working harder than it should with the 28" bar.

Again I would only use the 28" bar for felling large stuff, 90% of the time the MS362 will be running a 20" bar and kicking some butt.

How does the MS362 run 25" bar for you? Mine is ok. Is yours modded at all?
It's okay. No modding (yet). So much hard ash and oak. Anything with much diameter at all, use 046, my favorite, and 660/661. For all around use and carrying through pastures bucking up blow down, the 362s sure are a lot lighter. The 20 " b&c balances better too.

LoveStihlQuality

I am thinking about selling either the 039 or the MS290 now.

I guess the question for me now is, do I keep the 039 for my 20" saw and sell the MS290 or vice versa? Because I am seriously thinking about getting a 361, 362 type saw for my 20" bar. Then I would get rid of both (039 and MS290) probably and might even replace the MS180 at some point. I do like the 039 but it's not as powerful as the MS441C.

Any thoughts?

Congrats on new saw! I'd say probably keep the 039 if it runs well. More power. And you could probably turn the 290 on Craigslist pretty easy. You could wait and watch for good deal on 60cc pro saw. IMO, Ed

LoveStihlQuality

Latest posts

Back