Stihl MS391, my first saw, help me accessorize it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just check out THIS THREAD.

You'll find a ton of idea's to 'accessorize' your saw :hmm3grin2orange:.

In all reality, just do a muff mod, keep the filter clean and chain sharp.

Its just a darn saw, add mixed fuel with sthil or husky mix and bar oil, a nice sharp chain and go cut wood.
The accessories your saw needs is a paint brush (cheaper than an air compressor, to keep it clean) and a file to sharpen the chain. The most important thing for you to do is look after your new saw.

Amen brother !

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Thats the reason I came here and asked all you professionals. :msp_biggrin:
I have decided i'll just stick with the stock single dog. Definately wont be doing falling or cutting professionally. Just randomly when its needed.

Cr500 that is nasty looking bud. My dad had one in his thigh many years ago. Doc said they couldnt stich his cause it was too wide. I dont think it was near as deep as yours. He's got some nice scars though. The reason im sticking with the 20" is I think it should be big enough for what i'll be doing and my dad told me that the more chain you put on it the more hp it "robs" from the saw. "dont know if that was the right way to put it or not"
Chaps are a must for me. Never used them before but looking forward to having a pair.
What is a good pair of chaps?

20" is great on that saw. Labonville chaps are a very common recommendation around here.

Sharp chain and coomon since will get more mileage then a modded muffler.

I'd lay off the gizmos and Widgets at just perfect chain sharpening you will ruin a chain or two figureing it at but that's okay that's part of learning

Thanks for the advice on the chaps.

Hopefully I will pick up on the sharpening. My dad can show me how, and I sharpen all my own pocket knives. So I understand the angles and stuff like that. Just going to watch more youtube vids. LOL

Chaps are a must for me. Never used them before but looking forward to having a pair.
What is a good pair of chaps?

Labonville chaps are nice (and made here in these US of A United States [/unclejesse]), you should really own them before the saw!

Leave the saw stock until it's out of warranty. Good oil mixed with fresh gas, keep it clean, keep the chain sharp (I'm slowly learning to file my chains...I seem to be getting better at it).

Good luck!

Get you a nice filing kit and learn how to sharpen your chain. Every time after i use my saw i sit down and sharpen the chain, clean the airfilter, take the clutch cover off scrape off the gunk. Then i take my top cover off and blow it off with the air compressor.

Trust me if you keep doing this your saw will look like new and always run great.

This advice is kinda off track from your question but i figured you could use the advice.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, as you can see I am a newbie here.

Welcome.

This will be my first saw and I want it to last a very long time.

Leave the saw alone.

I want to outfit from the get go to make it run right.

Unless it is missing parts it came with what it needs to run right.

I am going to put the 20" bar on it.

Good choice.

I have been reading about bigger dogs, ceramic roller chain catchers, etc.

Not needed at all and will not make saw run better. On this site these days the items described are used more as man dressing(like an earing but less useful) than tools.

This is all new stuff too me.

It is new to most that want it on a saw that small.

So what should I put on the saw to get me started?

Put nothing on the saw and get yourself some personal safety equipment and skills.

Thanks all for your help.

Good luck.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Really looking forward to getting my saw. Where do you guYs get your files from and what brands do you recommend?

If you want to accessorize a chainsaw, you might need a reality check.:msp_tongue:

No, really, you don't want to go bolting a bunch of extra crap to a saw. A good chain and a muff mod if you want and that's it.

Accessorizing a chainsaw just don't sound right.:hmm3grin2orange:

If you want to accessorize a chainsaw, you might need a reality check.:msp_tongue:

No, really, you don't want to go bolting a bunch of extra crap to a saw. A good chain and a muff mod if you want and that's it.

Accessorizing a chainsaw just don't sound right.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now that you mention it that doesn't sound right at all. Lol.
Must be from me being a mechanic all the extras we put on cars are called accessories.

Latest posts

Back