Stihl MS440 magnum handle hose replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys. I bought a new to me MS440 magnum and during my thorough cleaning, I decided to replace the handle hose. I bought the OEM Stihl hose and thought it would install like a motorcycle grip, but apparently that is not correct. I tried a soapy solution of water and Dawn on the hose and on the handle, but I can only get it to go on so far. There must be some trick to it that I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

That was a few years ago, boy how time flies.
I remember Lakeside's posts. They were usually really good and I was sorry to see him leave. Last one of his posts that I read was almost ten years ago.

As for the OP's question, it is so dang tough to get that new hose on that most guys just bite the bullet and buy a new handle. You might try a bike shop and see what they use, but if Dawn did not work, I'm not sure anything else will either. Getting past the right-angle bends is a gorilla.

Could electrical shrink tube work?
It does- but it is nowhere near as durable, nor it is grooved.
There are some commercial heat shrinks meant for large capacity underground cables that might work better- as long as they were able to shrink around the tighter bends without bunching up.

Thanks guys. The pictures are missing from the write up. Any idea how I would retrieve them? Take care,

I wonder if bicycle bar wrap would be durable enough?

There are "substitutes" like the heat shrink already suggested, various grips designed for sporting equipment like bats and racquets- but in my experience, none as durable as an OEM factory handle, or factory replacement exterior tubing.
Maybe something like tennis racquet wrap with heat shrink over it might give a temporary comfortable grip- but then again, there are probably a few thousand second hand factory 044/440 front half wraps out there waiting to be found.

There are "substitutes" like the heat shrink already suggested, various grips designed for sporting equipment like bats and racquets- but in my experience, none as durable as an OEM factory handle, or factory replacement exterior tubing.
Maybe something like tennis racquet wrap with heat shrink over it might give a temporary comfortable grip- but then again, there are probably a few thousand second hand factory 044/440 front half wraps out there waiting to be found.
I was also considering suggesting that option of looking for a non-running 044. One of them might have a pretty good handle. The rest you could save for parts. Total cost might be about the same as a new handle from a Stihl dealer.

I've never tried it but I've heard using an air compressor to blow air at a high pressure into the hose while installing it makes it go on.

It sure does- as per the earlier post that linked an old thread and referenced post #16. ;)

It is a bit difficult but the compressed air method is what I have used on 6 handles so far, the air only stretches the hose a few thousands larger than the metal handle but it allows the hose to sort of slip along with effort applied by both hands of the installer. A vice to hold the handlebar is a must or a fixture can be fabbed up to bolt the handle to it. Stihl dinged me about $85. Cdn for a 5 meter length.

A heat gun is your friend, if you keep the rubber pretty warm and use a "screwing" motion (yeah yeah, go ahead and make your little jokes) it does decent. You can always straighten the tubing once it's installed. I re-wrapped a 288 Pro Safety wrap, after I did the short clutch side I thought "Wow, that wasn't so bad." 2.5 hours into the longer flywheel side I swore that there will never be a next time.

I'm probably missing something. How do you seal the open end of the hose? Or do you use a long air hose needle (like a basketball needle)? I tried the windex and Dawn/soapy water, and just made it hard to get back off! :)

I'm probably missing something. How do you seal the open end of the hose? Or do you use a long air hose needle (like a basketball needle)? I tried the windex and Dawn/soapy water, and just made it hard to get back off! :)
You do not contain the air as such, tight tolerance means the air as it travels through provides a cushion between the handle proper and the interior of the grip tube as it passes through.
Go back and read the link and you will see reference to large compressors or large tanks required.

You start the open end on over the handle, the handle effectively blocks the hose as long as the handle itself has one end closed/plugged. After that it acts as Bob Hedgecutter said.

Back