Stihl MS440 not oiling well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoonHunter

Reaction score
I Just bought a very lightly used MS440 that doesn't seem to be oiling correctly. When I got the saw I noticed the bar had been hot before but just didn't think much of it at the time I figured the guy had run it out of oil, and I'm pretty sure that his elevator just doesn't go but so high. Well, anyway, the bar is still getting hot, so I took the cover and bar off of it and cleaned it as best as I could, sharpened the chain and went back to work. About half way thru a really good sized oak I'm working up for firewood it really got hot and I got pissed and quit for the day. I have a Husky 345 that just isn't enough to handle some jobs I need done and I don't want to spend a fortune on the Stihl. How much should this machine oil, and if possible, how can I adjust how much oil it puts out. Is this a common problem with these saws?

There is a hole in the bottom of the case - insert screwdriver and turn clockwise (it turns less then 1/2 a turn).

It should use about 3/4 tank of oil per tank of gas.

Take off the bar, run it ans see if oil comes out the oiler hole above the studs.

+1

There is a hole in the bottom of the case - insert screwdriver and turn clockwise (it turns less then 1/2 a turn).

It should use about 3/4 tank of oil per tank of gas.

Take off the bar, run it ans see if oil comes out the oiler hole above the studs.

If it's not oiling alot, or enough... Before you go ripping it apart, cut some bar oil with Kerosene or fuel oil and run it for a bit like that to clean it. It could be plugged up... I run'em like that 2 or 3 times a year to make sure mine stay clean...

:cheers:

044's oilers are pretty reliable from everyone I've spoken with...

good idea

If it's not oiling alot, or enough... Before you go ripping it apart, cut some bar oil with Kerosene or fuel oil and run it for a bit like that to clean it. It could be plugged up... I run'em like that 2 or 3 times a year to make sure mine stay clean...

:cheers:

044's oilers are pretty reliable from everyone I've spoken with...

I never thought of that. Sounds like a good idea.
TRUE STORY. I once put 80/90W gear oil in my first saw, an old JD (echo) in 1984. Not a good idea. The oil line turned to mush, and replacement would haev been a split-the-case proposition.
DO NOT USE GEAR OIL IN A CHAINSAW:bang: :bang: :bang: :blob2: :blob2:

thanks guys i'm not real familiar with the bigger saws but I went by the Stihl dealer and got a parts breakdown on it and i'll see if I can get it going tonight after work. They said the bushings can get worn if they get run dry, the guy before me may have made that mistake but I definetly hope not. Thanks for the advice on the kerosene cleaning. How much should this thing really be oiling? Some people have told me you should see it coming off the end of the bar but that sounds a little excessive to me. I did pull the bar off and ran it and its just barely trickling out, not near enough to keep it cool.

Also, what is the best bar oil for this saw?

thanks guys i'm not real familiar with the bigger saws but I went by the Stihl dealer and got a parts breakdown on it and i'll see if I can get it going tonight after work. They said the bushings can get worn if they get run dry, the guy before me may have made that mistake but I definetly hope not. Thanks for the advice on the kerosene cleaning. How much should this thing really be oiling? Some people have told me you should see it coming off the end of the bar but that sounds a little excessive to me. I did pull the bar off and ran it and its just barely trickling out, not near enough to keep it cool.

Also, what is the best bar oil for this saw?

If you got Sthil brand chain on that saw your not going to see a large amount of oil being thrown off the end of the bar. The chain grooves on the runners of the chain pick up alot of that oil and carry it up top to the rivot where its needed. If its oiling some but not enuff do as Lake said, turn the pump adjuster to full and see what happens. If it is oiling but very little check that strainer on the end of the hose in the oil tank. If its partly clogged from saw chips getting the tank from careless re filling the oil tank that may well be your problem. Best oil is the same as the name on the saw, Stihl.

Since we're talking about oiling........

I have a question. I have an old 026 that I am making into a dedicated hedge trimmer, using the Stihl hedge trimmer kit. SInce this thing will not be pumping oil, should I remove the oil pump drive gear? Someday down the road it may become a saw again, but it would require some repair--Looks like oil just comes out everywhere. Saw is very beat up but has great compression.
What all should I remove beside the chain brake?

I'd just leave it alone.. without the pump worm you'll have no spacer for the clutch... I guess you could remove the pump and leave the worm.. Weird...

+1

If you got Sthil brand chain on that saw your not going to see a large amount of oil being thrown off the end of the bar. The chain grooves on the runners of the chain pick up alot of that oil and carry it up top to the rivot where its needed. If its oiling some but not enuff do as Lake said, turn the pump adjuster to full and see what happens. If it is oiling but very little check that strainer on the end of the hose in the oil tank. If its partly clogged from saw chips getting the tank from careless re filling the oil tank that may well be your problem. Best oil is the same as the name on the saw, Stihl.

I've always used the Stihl winter oil year around... Oddly enough, I've NEVER had a problem with ANY oiler on any of my saws. I am a ba5tard on the environment though, it runs alot more in the summers... I do also like the Dolmar Winter grade oil though, I've had good luck with that this winter also, it's my first winter using it, now it'll be the Stihl winter or Dolmar winter. I don't buy that cheap crap EVER!!!! I've had bad luck using other stuff, it gets thick at like 0 degrees...

:popcorn: :cheers:

Stihl 440 oiler

Just bought 440 off ebay, saw runs great, but it is not getting very much oil to the bar. I tore into it, no blockage.
Everything seem to be like it should. Don't know how to tell if the pump is good. The saw was (I guess) a rental, had rental sticker. I can see someone renting a saw running it without oil. Can running it without oil damage the pump? Don't see any adjustment on this saw. The oil tube runs straight from the tank to the oil pump. Have not checked to see if vent in stopped up yet. Will do that tomorrow.

Back