Stihl MS460 Magnum problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My saws stay chained w/logging chain to a timber beam in the barn. They hang by the handles on spikes driven into the beam. Only I know the lock combination.

View attachment 967699

It's a foolproof way of keeping fools/idiots from borrowing my saws.

If you must, leave a "wildthingy" loose for the morons to borrow.
That's a great idea but chains don't stop... only deter. With a sawzall, grinders, and cutting torch in my shop it's easy to cut chain. No, I have warned them they will have hell to pay if someone other than me uses it.

That's a great idea but chains don't stop... only deter. With a sawzall, grinders, and cutting torch in my shop it's easy to cut chain. No, I have warned them they will have hell to pay if someone other than me uses it.
Someone tried to "borrow" all my saws.

Decided to use my hacksaw on the chain, it didn't end well. Hacksaws cut hands/fingers pretty easy. I've hidden all my "cutting" tools now.

Bloody tools 3.jpgblood on beam.jpgBlood near bench.jpgBloody chain 3.jpg

These would have been part of the haul:

Saws.jpg

..........and I upped the chain to hardened logging chain.

I think it was a local known crackhead? But since they/he didn't get my saws POlice didn't give a dam. Wouldn't take prints or blood samples.

Decided to use my hacksaw on the chain, it didn't end well. Hacksaws cut hands/fingers pretty easy. I've hidden all my "cutting" tools now.

View attachment 967712View attachment 967713View attachment 967714View attachment 967715

View attachment 967717

I think it was a local known crackhead? But since they/he didn't get my saws POlice didn't give a dam. Wouldn't take prints or blood samples.
I heard buried bear traps work good too! LoL!!

That's sweet, thanks for sharing :).
Back in the day I built 5 different s10/s15 with 327-350's, and a nice lowered s10 with a 4.3.
All were fun, but if I had to do it over I'd do a ranger with w/a 289, they fit a lot nicer.
Good luck on the project"s".
I extended the front frame 12" forward and moved the motor back that much to distribute weight better. S10's are so easy to work with. Except weling the funny car cage in... that was a tough one. Took 2 months in my spare time.

I extended the front frame 12" forward and moved the motor back that much to distribute weight better. S10's are so easy to work with. Except weling the funny car cage in... that was a tough one. Took 2 months in my spare time.
I always wanted to do a rear engine one.
Typically I'd just swap the battery to the very back of the bed, make the tunnel removable.
I didn't have much of a shop to do heavy fab available to me, had I, much more would have been done.
Did you get it down the track with another engine.

I always wanted to do a rear engine one.
Typically I'd just swap the battery to the very back of the bed, make the tunnel removable.
I didn't have much of a shop to do heavy fab available to me, had I, much more would have been done.
Did you get it down the track with another engine.
No. I bought it as a street rolling chassis and gutted it. It originally had a 454 in it before I bought it. I suspect it will run low 7's to high 6's in the 1/4 mile when done.
I worked on it in my 3 car garage and then moved it to the lean-to on my shed and covered it. I think this fall I will be working on it again. The chassis is 99% done. The front cap is carbon fiber, doors and tailgate is fiberglass. I have almost everything to finish it.
My garage is now my custom woodworking shop. It's a/c and heated so I can work in there year round. Extra money helps when retired.. it was a game changer for me. Not use to living on limited income..

No. I bought it as a street rolling chassis and gutted it. It originally had a 454 in it before I bought it. I suspect it will run low 7's to high 6's in the 1/4 mile when done.
I worked on it in my 3 car garage and then moved it to the lean-to on my shed and covered it. I think this fall I will be working on it again. The chassis is 99% done. The front cap is carbon fiber, doors and tailgate is fiberglass. I have almost everything to finish it.
My garage is now my custom woodworking shop. It's a/c and heated so I can work in there year round. Extra money helps when retired.. it was a game changer for me. Not use to living on limited income..
Sounds fun to me.
Can't wait to get my barn finished.

Attachments

• 20220223_164646.jpg
    20220223_164646.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
It is.
I've already got a mess of stuff under it, can't wait to get the concrete, hopefully this spring. In the meantime I'll continue to finish the soffit/ facia,remove trees, and get the grades set. It's coming together as planned though.
That's a lotta work. What's the size

I don't have the tool to take the cyl off yet... waiting for it to come. Here's a few pics... hard to get a good pic with phone flash.
Intake side of cyl from what I see has a little scoring and the exhaust side has a lot (see piston and ring pic).
That looks like straight fuelled to me. With a nice clean 460 it's worth spending the bit extra to keep it original and best. The 46s are torquey and good felling saws

That looks like straight fuelled to me. With a nice clean 460 it's worth spending the bit extra to keep it original and best. The 46s are torquey and good felling saws
The saw has only had about 5-7 tanks of fuel run through it since new in 2005. So if you are looking for a blue stained tank you won't see it.
I'm waiting on kit now, should be here today or Monday. This saw was only used on 3 oak trees before someone borrowed it. Will never get loaned out again by a fam member! I had only used it for firewood from the 3 trees we dropped on our property before. It will get fixed and kept safe... I'm retired now and NO ONE will use it but me!

View attachment 967712View attachment 967713View attachment 967714View attachment 967715

View attachment 967717

And I thought you were kidding...

Yes go with a oem piston if possible unless squish is huge and you can not sand the base to reduce it, they are the highest quality, better designed than the major players in the aftermarket game as are the oem rings. You should have waited to order the kit until after you removed the cylinder and cleaned the aluminum transfer from the piston off of the walls. The nicacil coating is very very hard and often is mostly undamaged once the transfer is cleaned off. A bucket of water with some baking soda mixed in, 1 oz of muriatic acid and some q tips, scotchbrite and 320 sandpaper is all thats needed to clean the aluminum off it.
A few folks have reported buying the titanikle setups, they look very shiny and smooth. In my experience hyway performs ok, their port timing can be wonky on their standard cylinders and squish can be over .045. I havent used the titanikle cylinders yet and they are pushing it hard as their premium line so they may be excellent, the pistons/rings are the same as what comes in the regular nic kits. In my experience cutting/drilling titanium I would expect that if you do not use the saw really hard out of the gate the titanium coating will work/heat harden causing very slow ring bedding to the cylinder wall. but none of this matters if the oem cylinder is savable.
Well, tool and cylinder kit came yesterday. I removed the cyl this morning and as you said, the aluminum may be able to be removed from cyl. Intake side has no scoring to mention, exhauast side is heavier at the top than at the bottom, looks like it may be repairable after cleaning, possibly. There is no slack in wrist pin bearing and none in the crank bearings. So it is possible to keep OEM if cyl cleans and get an OEM piston. There is hope. I will try this first and save new Titanikel kit for a back up.

Attachments

• 20220227_132419.jpg
    20220227_132419.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220227_132537.jpg
    20220227_132537.jpg
    994.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220227_132601.jpg
    20220227_132601.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back