Stihl MS460 Magnum problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an original Ms460 Magnum from Germany in great shape. Saws are amazing, goes great with the ms201 tc-m from Germany also!!!

I have a Stihl MS460 Magnum. It is a 2006 model that has only cut down 2 trees since new. I put it in a Stihl shop 6 months ago and had it tuned up. I cut a small tree down with it and began to be hard to start. I checked the compression on it and it was 90psi. I just can't believe this engine is bad already.
What causes low compression on so little run time?? I only use Stihl oil and mixed gas correctly! The saw has not run hot at anytime. I checked the cylinder and piston and it has no scoring on them. I have read online that Stihl had problems with this model and discontinued it. What do I need to do with the saw?
Rings are stuck?

It's great that things worked out for you with your saw. I did read the entire thread last night.
It's a shame those sort of things happen, but man sounds like you bounced back and are in good shape.
Thanks for sharing the tech info. Im pretty sure you would gain 10-15 psi with a .020" squish. Doesn't matter one bit though because it sounds like you are happy with it the way it is. That's what is important.
It's sorta hard to get info on some model specific p&c kits because many guys grind on them thereby altering the plug and play aspect that most users face.
I understand Hyway is having some on and off free port issues with the 54mm tops because the piston skirts need to be shortened to clear the crankcase.
I'll probably give it a shot though just to see the performance difference in a $320 cylinder assembly and a $120 cylinder assembly. I'm no pro so it won't see 2,000 hours.
I can always make an MS660 54mm piston work to eliminate free port issues should they arise.
Thanks again my man for your response and opinion. Means a lot.
I greatly appreciate it.
I hope life is good. 👍
Well, it's been a long time since I've been on here and have cut a couple of hard water oak trees down with the MS460 magnum (new Titanical Kit) and must say I'm really impressed with the new tune up by my new Stihl dealer that I took it to this time. I'm running 38:1 mix and that's what he tuned it for. I'LL HAVE TO SAY IT AGAIN THAT IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER AGAIN I WOULD'T HESITATE TO BUY THE HYWAY TITANICAL KIT AGAIN! I'm just in awe over the power this saw has and how flawless this kit was in appearance and fit. If you guys were hesitant on trying one, don't... it's a great kit and buy.
To go with this saw, my brother loaned me his MS 250, which is a great mid size saw and it runs great. And now, just purchased a MS194T top handle off Ebay. This saw had a brand new engine, carb, new clutch, new chain and bar, and chain cover. It was tuned perfectly and put together by a Stihl dealer. Paid 365. + 36. for shipping. This saw has really impressed me an is a GAME CHANGER for me!! I really wanted to get a MS 201TC, but now it doesn't matter. This little saw is nothing short of awesome. I've read a couple of threads on here about the 201tc that they had major problems with the 201 and it burned up and was new. It wasn't a newbie but domeone that cuts trees for a living. Anyway, I'm happy with the 194T, 250, and the 460. Great saws that cover the spectrum of tree falling.

Well, it's been a long time since I've been on here and have cut a couple of hard water oak trees down with the MS460 magnum (new Titanical Kit) and must say I'm really impressed with the new tune up by my new Stihl dealer that I took it to this time. I'm running 38:1 mix and that's what he tuned it for. I'LL HAVE TO SAY IT AGAIN THAT IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER AGAIN I WOULD'T HESITATE TO BUY THE HYWAY TITANICAL KIT AGAIN! I'm just in awe over the power this saw has and how flawless this kit was in appearance and fit. If you guys were hesitant on trying one, don't... it's a great kit and buy.
To go with this saw, my brother loaned me his MS 250, which is a great mid size saw and it runs great. And now, just purchased a MS194T top handle off Ebay. This saw had a brand new engine, carb, new clutch, new chain and bar, and chain cover. It was tuned perfectly and put together by a Stihl dealer. Paid 365. + 36. for shipping. This saw has really impressed me an is a GAME CHANGER for me!! I really wanted to get a MS 201TC, but now it doesn't matter. This little saw is nothing short of awesome. I've read a couple of threads on here about the 201tc that they had major problems with the 201 and it burned up and was new. It wasn't a newbie but domeone that cuts trees for a living. Anyway, I'm happy with the 194T, 250, and the 460. Great saws that cover the spectrum of tree falling.
I also want to thank everybody that contributed here in helping me find problems and remedies on getting me turned in the right direction to getting this 460 fixed. You are a great bunch of guys helping people.

Latest posts

Back