Stihl MS460 Magnum problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, we always have to have projects :dizzy:.
32x48x12 main with two 12x48 lean to's.
But you know they only come in one size, too small lol.
Yea, don't matter what size barn or shop you have you always manage to fill it. How I got 12 big machines in mine I don't know. I need double the space. I have just enough room to walk around.

Attachments

• 20201008_190209.jpg
    20201008_190209.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201222_215415.jpg
    20201222_215415.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201222_214923_001.jpg
    20201222_214923_001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi all, update on my saw.
I was able to clean up the oem cylinder pretty good. I used the method you suggested with acid, baking soda, and water. It was a tiring experience, but got it done. I got all the aluminum off but there is still a couple of scratch lines in the cylinder but you cannot feel them (ctually a discoloration streak or two). With that being said, I am assuming that the cylinder is ok to use or save for later use.
I have decided to use the Hyway Titanikel cylinder kit I have. Some have said that I shouldn't use the Titanikel piston that comes with the kit. I looked at it and weighed it yesterday with my digital scale.
I also weighed the oem piston that came out of the saw. Here is the weights:
OEM: 76 grams
Titanikel: 80 grams
So, I think this is very marginal and the The Titanikel popup piston does look very good. Also, measuring from bottom of wrist pin to top of piston (on both pistons) is within .002" of each other.
So, I have decided to install the Titanikel kit minus their wrist pin. I have purchased a new OEM wrist pin, bearing, and clips. I will also use the Caber rings I purchased. I am waiting for ring expander to come before putting rings on.
I have checked the lower rod bearing and crank bearings and they are all good. As soon as piston and cylinder is installed I will check the squish.
I will update again once squish is checked. I really feel good about this new kit.
Here is a pic of the cylinder after cleanup. Like I said, there are a few lines in it but you can't feel them with your fingernail.
Comments??

Attachments

• 20220313_084314.jpg
    20220313_084314.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi all, update on my saw.
I was able to clean up the oem cylinder pretty good. I used the method you suggested with acid, baking soda, and water. It was a tiring experience, but got it done. I got all the aluminum off but there is still a couple of scratch lines in the cylinder but you cannot feel them (ctually a discoloration streak or two). With that being said, I am assuming that the cylinder is ok to use or save for later use.
I have decided to use the Hyway Titanikel cylinder kit I have. Some have said that I shouldn't use the Titanikel piston that comes with the kit. I looked at it and weighed it yesterday with my digital scale.
I also weighed the oem piston that came out of the saw. Here is the weights:
OEM: 76 grams
Titanikel: 80 grams
So, I think this is very marginal and the The Titanikel popup piston does look very good. Also, measuring from bottom of wrist pin to top of piston (on both pistons) is within .002" of each other.
So, I have decided to install the Titanikel kit minus their wrist pin. I have purchased a new OEM wrist pin, bearing, and clips. I will also use the Caber rings I purchased. I am waiting for ring expander to come before putting rings on.
I have checked the lower rod bearing and crank bearings and they are all good. As soon as piston and cylinder is installed I will check the squish.
I will update again once squish is checked. I really feel good about this new kit.
Here is a pic of the cylinder after cleanup. Like I said, there are a few lines in it but you can't feel them with your fingernail.
Comments??
If you can't feel them it would be fine to run it.
Since you're using the new cylinder it will be nice to have a spare there, but with proper use(not lending it out ;)), that saw should last the rest of your cutting yrs.

If you can't feel them it would be fine to run it.
Since you're using the new cylinder it will be nice to have a spare there, but with proper use(not lending it out ;)), that saw should last the rest of your cutting yrs.
If I do have to go back to the original cyl I will use an oem piston or Meteor, whichever is easily available. I don't forsee this happening at all, though.

Looks like it will clean up to me, and that would be my preferred option along with an oem piston.
Chipper, I have the saw back together and have not run it yet. I did install the Titanikel pop-up piston and Caber rings that came with the kit. I installed with OEM piston pin, wrist pin bearing and circlips. The squish was checked 6 times. I came up with .030-.031. This is with the metal gasket that came with the kit. This gasket has a very thin rubber like coating on it. Is my .030 too much squish as I read people like .018 - .024??
I checked the compression and it was 170 after 4 pulls of the starter.
So, the question now is: Do I try to lower the squish to get compression higher or do I let it ride?? It's possible that compression goes up after rings seat.
Another thing I have to do is check carb settings before startup. I read the MS460 maintenance manual on tuning procedures. I have also mixed 2 gal of fuel at 38:1 ratio as some have recommended in another post on here. Any suggestions are appreciated. I just want this saw to be right and taking my time doing it ... I'm in no hurry!

Chipper, I have the saw back together and have not run it yet. I did install the Titanikel pop-up piston and Caber rings that came with the kit. I installed with OEM piston pin, wrist pin bearing and circlips. The squish was checked 6 times. I came up with .030-.031. This is with the metal gasket that came with the kit. This gasket has a very thin rubber like coating on it. Is my .030 too much squish as I read people like .018 - .024??
So, the question now is: Do I try to lower the squish to get compression higher or do I let it ride?? It's possible that compression goes up after rings seat.
Another thing I have to do is check carb settings before startup. I read the MS460 maintenance manual on tuning procedures. I have also mixed 2 gal of fuel at 38:1 ratio as some have recommended in another post on here. Any suggestions are appreciated. I just want this saw to be right and taking my time doing it ... I'm in no hurry!
Fire it up and give it a shot.
Many of the 460/461s are right around that and up to 180psi that I've seen.

I think your good to go, you can deck the cylinder some to reduce the squish if you want a hair more power but be warned with a popup it will make starting harder on you overcoming the extra added compression. Run it a little rich the first couple tanks of gas where the saw cleans up under load but burbles a little when lightly loaded and really 4 strokes free revved. The only thing I would still check is the decomp valve for leakage. Listen at the valve as you slowly pull the engine past top dead center putting pressure against it, a little soapy water can be used if you fear you can not hear it.

Today was run day.. first pull was a pop, View attachment 20220326_132330.mp4second pull was a startup! MS460 is doing it's happy dance. I only have run it for a few minutes at idle. All sounds good, but will do tune up tomorrow.
I want to thank all for their input and great suggestions for helping me get this saw back together right!
After tune up and test run at higher speeds I will give an update of what I think about the Titanikel Popup kit.
I am running 38:1 oil mixture in it.
View attachment 20220326_132330.mp4

Today was run day.. first pull was a pop, View attachment 976476second pull was a startup! MS460 is doing it's happy dance. I only have run it for a few minutes at idle. All sounds good, but will do tune up tomorrow.
I want to thank all for their input and great suggestions for helping me get this saw back together right!
After tune up and test run at higher speeds I will give an update of what I think about the Titanikel Popup kit.
I am running 38:1 oil mixture in it.
View attachment 976476
Glad you got the beast running :).
Now get it off the concrete :crazy2:.

I was looking for some sorta tough to find Info about the Hyway Titanikel (non ported) cylinder assembly for MS460 and came across this now somewhat aging thread.
The story started grim, but with all things considered seems to have a good ending.
You have an absolutely great looking MS460. Probably runs good too.
I'm glad you were able to get such an iconic saw back to it's previous glory with help from a good bunch of guys.
Congrats to the OP for hanging in there amid the destructive controversy over his saw.
Can I ask how the Titanikel cylinder assembly has worked out for you before I buy one for my saw?
Any possibility of an update or review/opinion? Thanks.
This is a great thread that tells a positive story with a good ending .

I have to say that the Titanikel cylinder was flawless. I did not have to deburr anything on it. Actually looked better than my OEM. The popup piston looked really good too. It weighed 4 grams more than the OEM. If you read the whole post, you would have read about the squish. With the gasket that came with the kit, installed, squish was at .030-.031. I left it at that because I didn't have any thin gasket material and I didn't want to have the cylinder machined down. Compression is 170. I'm sure that if I brought the squish down another .009-.010 it would really be a beast to crank with that popup piston.
The saw runs great and goes through a tree like butter. I am not a commercial tree cutter but a home owner. I'm glad I went the Titanikel route as I feel confidant now more about it then before ordering the kit. I saved about $200 going this way too. I would not hesitate to buy a Titanikel kit.
One other thing I plan on doing is change to a dual port muffler. I hear it lets the engine breathe better.
When I purchased the kit, a big bore Titanikel kit was not available. I think now they are available.
Good luck on what you decide to do.

It's great that things worked out for you with your saw. I did read the entire thread last night.
It's a shame those sort of things happen, but man sounds like you bounced back and are in good shape.
Thanks for sharing the tech info. Im pretty sure you would gain 10-15 psi with a .020" squish. Doesn't matter one bit though because it sounds like you are happy with it the way it is. That's what is important.
It's sorta hard to get info on some model specific p&c kits because many guys grind on them thereby altering the plug and play aspect that most users face.
I understand Hyway is having some on and off free port issues with the 54mm tops because the piston skirts need to be shortened to clear the crankcase.
I'll probably give it a shot though just to see the performance difference in a $320 cylinder assembly and a $120 cylinder assembly. I'm no pro so it won't see 2,000 hours.
I can always make an MS660 54mm piston work to eliminate free port issues should they arise.
Thanks again my man for your response and opinion. Means a lot.
I greatly appreciate it.
I hope life is good. 👍

2100hpS10. You said you want to put a dual port muffler on your really nice resurrected MS460. It's a shame you were done wrong.
Enclosed are a couple pics of an unused muffler front I have. I enlarged the exhaust port substantially and it has a spark screen on it.
It is a direct bolt on ( 4 screws ) to your saw. With this you are dual ported.
If you want this for your saw, send me a PM with shipping instructions and I will send it to you FOC. NSA!
I'm sure one of the guys on this thread that helped you earlier will explain how to retune your saw if you need help.
I only need shipping info from you if you want it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_000353696_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220623_000353696_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220623_000426308_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220623_000426308_HDR.jpg
    959 KB · Views: 0
2100hpS10. You said you want to put a dual port muffler on your really nice resurrected MS460. It's a shame you were done wrong.
Enclosed are a couple pics of an unused muffler front I have. I enlarged the exhaust port substantially and it has a spark screen on it.
It is a direct bolt on ( 4 screws ) to your saw. With this you are dual ported.
If you want this for your saw, send me a PM with shipping instructions and I will send it to you FOC. NSA!
I'm sure one of the guys on this thread that helped you earlier will explain how to retune your saw if you need help.
I only need shipping info from you if you want it.
Swogg, how can I pm you from here?

Sorry 2100hpS10. I'm watching this thread and I'm signed up for email alerts. I just didn't get an alert. Or I got an alert and missed it. Either way I don't spend a lot of on the forums.
. I'm glad you figured out how to contact me before now.
I apologize I didn't see your post sooner.
Have a good night.

Latest posts

Back