Stihl MS660 or 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

250R

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy 1of these saws. Both in VG condition. I need some help with this. I plan on using a 36" bar. Are both saws basically the same in performance? Will I notice a difference?

Get both! Try them out. Keep the one you like best. Or like them both and keep them both!

The early models felt lighter, smaller, a bit more angry at nature in general. They also might have a good bit more use on them and certain parts are getting hard to find. The later models could have less use on them, feel a bit chunky and some were kind of weak power-wise, perhaps miffed instead of angry, still a 90cc saw just more polite. Both will do a 36” bar, most folks would not notice the difference between a 066 and a 660 powerwise.

Late model parts are a plenty in both OEM and aftermarket. The AM parts are everywhere on 660s,I see very few used 660s that do not have AM parts installed these days.

I know you said 066 vs 660 but, if it's a late model 066 it's the same saw as a 660.

The early flat top 066 is pre regulations, is physically smaller and makes the same power or more.

All of the 066/660's are the same same bore, stroke, and CC.

Back