stihl ms660 switch from 3/8 to 404?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g sanford

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
will a 404 bar mount up to ms660 that is set up for 3/8 bar? is there adapter for mount? or 404 bar made to fit
ms660? id like to run 404 .63 chain with a 25" bar. part numbers would help thanks

Yes get them from dave there rings that go on studs to take up space

Test fit bar and chain it may need different drive link than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes get them from dave there rings that go on studs to take up space

Test fit bar and chain it may need different drive link than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He doesn't have an 880 bar though. He just needs a .404 3003 mount bar and .404 drive sprocket

will a 404 bar mount up to ms660 that is set up for 3/8 bar? is there adapter for mount? or 404 bar made to fit
ms660? id like to run 404 .63 chain with a 25" bar. part numbers would help thanks

1. need a 404 rim sprocket
2. need a 404 chain ;)
3. if you have a 25" bar right now that fits your saw and it's .063, then all you need is to change the nose/tip with a .404 tip.

That said, if you want to go just a little larger (6 drive links, 25" = 77dl, 28" = 83dl) I can hook you up with a tsumura lite bar in 404, rim sprocket and chain. Currently my distributor doesn't carry 24" 063 tsumura lite so I have to go to 28". But I think 28" balances better on 660 661 size saw anyway and it's only 6dl. PM me if interested.

redbull660 has the right parts with super fast shipping. ask a question on Friday & 6 days latter
my saws all set up will 404 .gota love the would wide web
Julian is Top Notch.

If you’re in RI, you should try to make the Connecticut GTG this spring.

.404 (especially in semi-chisel IMHO) is a thing of beauty. I run a 36 404 with an 8 pin on my Mopar ported 395. With semichisel I cut dirty wood for 2 days straight without a sharpening. Cut around 8 cords and the chain is still sharp. A bit slower, but faster when you remove the time wasted sharpening. I won’t ever go back to 3/8 on my big saws.

I agree 404 lasts longer but I'd love to get drf255 over here in Australia and see him cut for 2 days without sharpening.
Many times I have not completed a single cut through fairly hollow Ironbark without needing to sharpen.
I'm not having a go at drf255, I have no doubt he has done what he stated, I just always have a bit of a chuckle to myself when I hear how long you guys get out of a chain.
It's amazing how different we have it all doing something similar.
But back on topic yes for big work saws 404 is the go, for a play saw don't bother.

Back