stihl ms661 c-m vs husky 395xp??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run both every day and I think the 395 has the better av. It's 1 pound heavier but that doesn't matter, there both heavy and powerful,a 661 cuts good but not like a 395. I love stihls but the 395 is a better saw for me.

The 395 is 94cc, the 661 is 91cc. As they say, there is no replacement for displacement. Depending on what trees you are cutting, the 395xp will pull a longer bar better (like 32"+). If you only plan to use a 28"-32" the 661 won't lose anything to the 395xp. Both have great AV, but the 661 should have slightly better fuel economy, which should translate into fewer fill ups. However, with saws that big and heavy, I personally appreciate every rest break I get.

395 all the way if running a 36" or longer bar for sure. I made a cut with a ported 661 beside my ported 395, both with 36" bars in big fir and the 395 was way stronger and every bit as smooth. My 395 has run (and oiled nicely) a 50" bar buried, with stupid strong authority and would no doubt pull a 60" and perhaps if careful, a 72" if it were able to oil those lengths. If you are a PNW faller hiking through the steep woods with a 32" bar then rhe 661's weight advantage would be a serious benefit. They are a nice saw and a huge improvement in power and AV over the 660, but they are NO 395.

Well said above, however the 390xp is probably worth a look here as it is imo a closer saw to the 661 in size and power. The 395 is imo is a bigger class saw. Still a good saw just saying I think the 390xp is more the alterantive husky. And the 390xp is a saw I'd prefer with a 25" b/c in my hands working. The 395 is a good bit bigger in size the the 661/390.

[QUOTE="Full Chisel, post: 5811725, member: 125418"

It sounds like a 390xp would be more appropriate for what you are wanting.[/QUOTE]
I have run all the saws mentioned in this thread. Well a 660/ not a 661.
Hands down I will take my 390xp over the rest for felling and bucking.
Power to size n weight makes the 390 a winner with bars to 36".
If yer running 42s or longer, 395 will get er dun. Need da big dog for milling too.

395 all the way if running a 36" or longer bar for sure. I made a cut with a ported 661 beside my ported 395, both with 36" bars in big fir and the 395 was way stronger and every bit as smooth. My 395 has run (and oiled nicely) a 50" bar buried, with stupid strong authority and would no doubt pull a 60" and perhaps if careful, a 72" if it were able to oil those lengths. If you are a PNW faller hiking through the steep woods with a 32" bar then rhe 661's weight advantage would be a serious benefit. They are a nice saw and a huge improvement in power and AV over the 660, but they are NO 395.

And how does a 394 compare to a 395?

I ran WCorey's (Bill's) 394xp and he ran my 395xp in 36"+ oak. I think he had a 32" or 36" bar and I had a 32". Very similar saws. We both agreed 394 feels more raw power, the 395 feels smoother. Both were unstoppable tanks.
Of course, his was muffler modded and had pretty aggressive rakers, and was maybe a bit quicker.

I'll take all the above for some test hits lol, then take all the above saws for keepers. All good in their own right, just comes back to the preference thing

It seems as though the 394 and 395 are to husky what an 064 is to 066/660 of stihl. With the 395 it seems to my very uneducated thought compared to builders, that an 084 is closer in size and speed meaning they're not really about speed and agility as straight power to pull long chain. Again very uneducated here. Then the 394 and 660/661 are in there with capability to pull 42 and 48 inch bars can have speed depending on the users goals and plenty of power. A 390 is an animal all it's own and can test the mettle of a 660 with its speed and power. The 064 I feel is the 390 to the 394 or the 394 to a 395 in that the decrease in power transfers into speed with each model below it. I know there's variations in there with bar length, chain, # of pins on rim..............I'm thinking in terms of for example an 064 and a 390 can run up to a 36" b/c if a guy is careful, a 660 and 394 can run up to 48" carefully, then your 395 will handle 50 to 72 inch carefully. For racing saws I have no clue at all because all the builders here make a mean SOB in your favorite model, which again as mentioned is personal preference ultimately. You have to figure if you like pack in rocks, or itchy hands, drag racing speed, or whatever. I'm a stihl guy but I wouldn't turn away any husky in this category either

It seems as though the 394 and 395 are to husky what an 064 is to 066/660 of stihl. With the 395 it seems to my very uneducated thought compared to builders, that an 084 is closer in size and speed meaning they're not really about speed and agility as straight power to pull long chain. Again very uneducated here. Then the 394 and 660/661 are in there with capability to pull 42 and 48 inch bars can have speed depending on the users goals and plenty of power. A 390 is an animal all it's own and can test the mettle of a 660 with its speed and power. The 064 I feel is the 390 to the 394 or the 394 to a 395 in that the decrease in power transfers into speed with each model below it. I know there's variations in there with bar length, chain, # of pins on rim..............I'm thinking in terms of for example an 064 and a 390 can run up to a 36" b/c if a guy is careful, a 660 and 394 can run up to 48" carefully, then your 395 will handle 50 to 72 inch carefully. For racing saws I have no clue at all because all the builders here make a mean SOB in your favorite model, which again as mentioned is personal preference ultimately. You have to figure if you like pack in rocks, or itchy hands, drag racing speed, or whatever. I'm a stihl guy but I wouldn't turn away any husky in this category either
Pretty much anything a 395 can do a 394 will too. Those two saws are the same for all intents and purposes regardless of the ports.

Latest posts

Back