stihl ms661 c-m vs husky 395xp??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems as though the 394 and 395 are to husky what an 064 is to 066/660 of stihl. With the 395 it seems to my very uneducated thought compared to builders, that an 084 is closer in size and speed meaning they're not really about speed and agility as straight power to pull long chain. Again very uneducated here. Then the 394 and 660/661 are in there with capability to pull 42 and 48 inch bars can have speed depending on the users goals and plenty of power. A 390 is an animal all it's own and can test the mettle of a 660 with its speed and power. The 064 I feel is the 390 to the 394 or the 394 to a 395 in that the decrease in power transfers into speed with each model below it. I know there's variations in there with bar length, chain, # of pins on rim..............I'm thinking in terms of for example an 064 and a 390 can run up to a 36" b/c if a guy is careful, a 660 and 394 can run up to 48" carefully, then your 395 will handle 50 to 72 inch carefully. For racing saws I have no clue at all because all the builders here make a mean SOB in your favorite model, which again as mentioned is personal preference ultimately. You have to figure if you like pack in rocks, or itchy hands, drag racing speed, or whatever. I'm a stihl guy but I wouldn't turn away any husky in this category either
A 394 will generally out cut a 395 with any bar and a 661 will generally out cut both.
A 394 and 395 are the same exact saw accept one is dual and the other is quad transfers.

A 394 will generally out cut a 395 with any bar and a 661 will generally out cut both.
A 394 and 395 are the same exact saw accept one is dual and the other is quad transfers.
Oh really, I wouldn't have guessed have thought a 661 was too much different than a 660 which is a hard workin saw to take those saws. In stock and or lightly modded form, I figured a 394 or 395 could tune a bit more than the competition for a bit more speed in the end

Oh really, I wouldn't have guessed have thought a 661 was too much different than a 660 which is a hard workin saw to take those saws. In stock and or lightly modded form, I figured a 394 or 395 could tune a bit more than the competition for a bit more speed in the end
For me most of the time a 661 is the strongest saw I can build but a 394 is right on it and a 395 is right on it but that's not a everytime thing,any one can beat the other it just depends on the saw, some just run better than others for no reason other than its just a good one.

I prefer how a 394 feels and runs over the others,they can all 3 have the exact same cut times but the 394 will feel way faster because the quad ports are smooth and a 94 is violent feeling.

There all within a few tenths of each other.
That's with the saws I port,other might have different results.

For me most of the time a 661 is the strongest saw I can build but a 394 is right on it and a 395 is right on it but that's not a everytime thing,any one can beat the other it just depends on the saw, some just run better than others for no reason other than its just a good one.

I prefer how a 394 feels and runs over the others,they can all 3 have the exact same cut times but the 394 will feel way faster because the quad ports are smooth and a 94 is violent feeling.

Probably a typo, but the 394 is the dual port, while the 395 is a quad port design.

Oh that's for sure, they all have a personality to figure out. Like you say too it depends on your own preference and what the saw will be used for, some guys focus more on working numbers where others are after race numbers. Aside from that I know absolutely zero, and that's were threads like this here are nice to read for me because the builders have way more in depth info than I have theory lol

Probably a typo, but the 394 is the dual port, while the 395 is a quad port design.

Re-read it Doc: he's saying the dual port 94 feels more violent than the quad port 95: I've heard that before.

Oh that's for sure, they all have a personality to figure out. Like you say too it depends on your own preference and what the saw will be used for, some guys focus more on working numbers where others are after race numbers. Aside from that I know absolutely zero, and that's were threads like this here are nice to read for me because the builders have way more in depth info than I have theory lol
I build work saw with pretty conservative numbers,I only know one guy who uses a little duration as me,I like them to be fast but not all or nothing.

I've done 661's from 95 to 101 on the exhaust and the 95 saw is probably the fastest but not forgiving as the 101.

I like them around 100
394/5 is like around 98-102 depending on what bar it will run.

The main difference is the 394/5 will be 220lb or so and my 661's are 175-180lb.

I said a 661 is my best running saw but that's not completely true,the 064 hybrids are stronger in most cases but the mtronic low compression saw will get my nod for the best work saw everytime.

I build work saw with pretty conservative numbers,I only know one guy who uses a little duration as me,I like them to be fast but not all or nothing.

I've done 661's from 95 to 101 on the exhaust and the 95 saw is probably the fastest but not forgiving as the 101.

I like them around 100
394/5 is like around 98-102 depending on what bar it will run.

The main difference is the 394/5 will be 220lb or so and my 661's are 175-180lb.

I said a 661 is my best running saw but that's not completely true,the 064 hybrids are stronger in most cases but the mtronic low compression saw will get my nod for the best work saw everytime.
I'd like to put a firewood season on a 661 just to feel the differences, see I'm used to my dad's 066 which was his fallin saw for a very long time and it is like an old muscle car compared to the hot rods of today that have all the power or more along with the critter features and emission environmental electric garb. We have a 441 at work as the "big saw" lol, and it's nice with the antivibe but feels like it's gonna come in half at the same time with all the flex which I'm just not used to feeling in my MS460. My 460 would take the 441's lunch and all I've done is gut the muffler on my personal saw

I'm running the 394 for everything, a member here rehabbed. "excellent job", and it will accommodate anything here if needed.

I'm impressed with redbull's stock 661 video pulling a 42" Cannon. I'm sure that thing is a lot more "refined" to the contrary...

I'm sawed out, but look at the damn thing....arctic.jpg

"Sorry to side track"

The local Stihl dealer had never seen an "R" Wrap, etc .... "He looked at me like I had Lobster's crawling out of my ears.

MI's Upper Peninsula's Forestry Service orders all theirs Wrapped he said, last time I stopped in?
Most of the loggers here have never seen or heard of a wrap,I use to love them until I used one for a while,now I can't stand them.

I'd like to put a firewood season on a 661 just to feel the differences, see I'm used to my dad's 066 which was his fallin saw for a very long time and it is like an old muscle car compared to the hot rods of today that have all the power or more along with the critter features and emission environmental electric garb. We have a 441 at work as the "big saw" lol, and it's nice with the antivibe but feels like it's gonna come in half at the same time with all the flex which I'm just not used to feeling in my MS460. My 460 would take the 441's lunch and all I've done is gut the muffler on my personal saw
A 661 is stiff

Latest posts

Back