Stihl Msa 200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been carving with an MSA200 and msa16o battery saw for a couple years now. Very good saws. They are durable and batteries are long lasting. I use them for detailing and even carving full carvings(small ones, 2ft and under). Last winter was the first winter I was able to to the majority of my work in my heated shop:). ...thanks to my arsenal of battery and plug in saws.

Now, even though these saws are good I can suggest something better. Get the Husqvarna 536li XP and put the available 1/4" sprocket on it. Then run the mini .043 1/4" bar and chain that come with the stihl battery saws. I have 2 of these set up this way and they are awesome! They are a couple pounds lighter than the stihl batt saws, much more comfortable to grasp for long carving periods(stihl is awkward and hurts my arms with constant use)....all around the husky is much better balanced. The husky also has higher chain speed compared to stihl. Overall torque/power is about equal between these two saws.

I do not like the husky AT ALL with the stock 3/8" bar and chain that it comes with. .....and I'm generally not a husqvarna fan. I've had bad luck with every Husqvarna gas saw I've ever owned. But this saw is a winner when it's equipped with stihl 1/4" .043 chain. You do have to drill new oil hole and bar mount hole for stihl bars to fit.

I own 15 stihl gas saws, from the little ms150 all the way up to the ms661.....and these days I probably use battery saws for approximately 50% of my work. It's nice to keep noise down, not buy gas as often, not breathe fumes....and just pull a trigger and go! My sore shoulder loves a break from pull starting:).

Husqvarna 536li XP with 1/4" gear is a much better saw than the msa200....it's gonna cost a little bit more, but I highly suggest this setup.

I believe I payed around $700 two years ago for saw, battery and charger. Expensive...but it makes me money . I think prices have come down....I know the battery prices have come down.

I'm also on the high jack - how do the battery saws compare to the stihl ms150? I'm in the market to add a battery top handle for early morning/suburban work, the ms150 is about the minimum power I think I can be productive with.

I have two rear handle ms150's and two rear handle Husqvarna 536li XP's. They are very similar in power and the work that they can do. You'll be amazed what these little saws can do. But again, the husky is at its best running the stihl 1/4" .043 bar and chain. There is so little resistance with that tiny chain....battery life is much longer, it cuts faster and the battery/brushless motor run much cooler. The husky is much more efficient all around with this setup.

I believe I payed around $700 two years ago for saw, battery and charger. Expensive...but it makes me money . I think prices have come down....I know the battery prices have come down.

Thanks. Saw battery and charger are around €700 right now. Battery prices have actually gone up here in the last couple of year: we are now a tad under €300/battery which is... beyond ridiculous, really. A Hitachi 36V battery in the same spec territory will set you back at around €170, which is the right price for it.

I have two rear handle ms150's and two rear handle Husqvarna 536li XP's. They are very similar in power and the work that they can do. You'll be amazed what these little saws can do. But again, the husky is at its best running the stihl 1/4" .043 bar and chain. There is so little resistance with that tiny chain....battery life is much longer, it cuts faster and the battery/brushless motor run much cooler. The husky is much more efficient all around with this setup.

I have a 536Li XP and would like to try the 1/4" chain you are suggesting. I assume you replaced the stock sprocket with the husqvarna available 1/4" sprocket and used stihl 71PM3 72 chain. What bar is that you switched to? Thanks.

Back