STIHL need HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcinms

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is for all the rebuilders on here that have knowledge of the Chi Knee replacement cylinders all over the parts market. Lately, I've been tuning and refurbing saws for all the elders at my church. Seems I fix one and the word gets around and I get flooded with , "Hey, I hear you work on chainsaws. I have a saw that was in good condition, but it won't crank now, can you fix it?" :hmm3grin2orange:
So I now have a Stihl MS210 from a guy that loves his saw and wants to fix it to like new. FWIW, the saw is in perfect condition, only thing is it appears to have been straight gassed at an early stage in the game. It has a scored cylinder and needs to be replaced. Just ringing it would get it going, but it wouldn't last long.
My question is how well do the aftermarket P&C kits last and perform? Would I be better off finding a used factory cylinder and buying an aftermarket piston kit?
Would you go with used OEM, or buy the aftermarket P&C? Any Stihl builders here with some advice or parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Let me check what I have in the used parts bin.
I've most likely got a 021/023/025 cylinder and probably a usable piston.

stock is just an overpriced item unless you want to pay for the name stihl on it aftermarket is better it will perform better than stock and is made better hope this helps

stock is just an overpriced item unless you want to pay for the name stihl on it aftermarket is better it will perform better than stock and is made better hope this helps

What are you trying to:potstir:

Overpriced maybe,perform better than stock..........wrong,not unless you port the **** out of it,dont know about being made better,i would still take a crappy oem cyl before a AM one ............been there done that

What are you trying to:potstir:

Overpriced maybe,perform better than stock..........wrong,not unless you port the **** out of it,dont know about being made better,i would still take a crappy oem cyl before a AM one ............been there done that

THanks for clearing that up for ole 95. :yoyo:
never seen an aftermarket kit for the 210

Yup, got em all over the bay , just haven't had the guts to grab one. I'd rather stay with OEM cylinder.

The cylinder won't clean up with muriatic acid?
I got most of it out with MA, still have a couple deep scratches you can hang a nail in. If it boils down to me using it I will. I'd like to find one in better shape. :rock:

I've got a good used 021 P&C it's got rings. all you'll need is the clips and wrist pin.
PM your email address and I'll send you some pics tonight.

finally got back to this saw

I finally got some parts for the MS210 that appeared to be straight gassed and started to assemble it and found the wrong rings in the package. :msp_rolleyes:
I bought a used 021 cylinder/piston in great shape. I took some shots of the two. Is the difference in the transfers on the 210 the Strato(?) design I've read about? Or am I way off?
the ports on the 021 are larger and the transfers are different. Which engine performs better, and is this gonna work well on the 210 saw? 210 is on the right.

021003.jpg

EXHAUST PORTS

021004.jpg

Intake ports:

021011.jpg

021013.jpg

210 Carnage

021014.jpg

Cylinder markings

021018.jpg

Last edited:
waiting on rings :( Had the wrong replacement rings in the package. Would you put it back together with the original used rings that are on the piston? Looking at them under a magnifier, they look fair. I need to get this thing going and back to it's home. It's not like this saw is going to be cutting cord after cord of firewood. Or I could wait till next week for new rings and have that warm fuzzy feeling all about myself...:msp_smile:

Not the rings on that slug pictured. I bought a used P/C. Piston looks great, rings fair to good

Latest posts

Back