STIHL now in big box stores?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped by my local C-A-L Ranch Store today. It's been a couple of months since the last time I was in it.

I was shocked to see that they now carry STIHL products. They didn't the last time I was in. They had Poulan and Husky chainsaws at that time.

C-A-L has an offer that caught my eye. Apply for one of their credit cards and get 10% off any purchase in the store. I'm thinking I just might return tomorrow and pick up one of those FS-250R's. I was looking at one earlier this year from a dedicated STIHL dealer, but he didn't offer me any $$ off the price. That, and he gave me the ole "They're gonna stop making um, so you better buy one while you still can" line. That may or may not be true, but I didn't like his sales pitch, as he was very pushy. :msp_thumbdn:

I got my FS250 at Western Auto. They've been a Full Service Stihl Dealership for decades.
attachment.php

My local Town and Country (formerly ACE) hardware carries the homeowner Stihl models, as well as commonly needed parts and accessories, which I occasionally buy from them. But the day I checked out their saws and noted that 4 of the 5 units on the shelf had the chains on backwards, I decided not to expect too much from them in the knowledge and advice category.

What is Stihls' issue with a "box store" I would like to go into a store and buy a stihl in the box , I am perfectly capable of filling it with gas and starting it myself for I assume the second time , am I missing something ?:msp_confused:

What is Stihls' issue with a "box store" I would like to go into a store and buy a stihl in the box , I am perfectly capable of filling it with gas and starting it myself for I assume the second time , am I missing something ?:msp_confused:

If that were to happen, most likely sales would drop off substantially for the dedicated STIHL shop owners. And, STIHL INC. strikes me as the kind of company that is obsessed with control over it's products and it's dealers.

I have a BMW motorcycle. I see a lot of what I'm talking about with both companies. BMW comes off as arrogant and all-knowing. STIHL displays much of the same mind-set and attitude.

STIHL would like you to believe that their product is different......different enough that you need to purchase it in such a way that makes you a believer.

What is Stihls' issue with a "box store" I would like to go into a store and buy a stihl in the box , I am perfectly capable of filling it with gas and starting it myself for I assume the second time , am I missing something ?

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having an authorized tech give the product a once-over and being there to answer any questions if needed. Not every customer needs this, and from comments on this site not every dealer provides this. But it should help with customer satisfaction and reducing warranty claims.

A larger retailer COULD do this. Some of it is marketing also IMHO.

Philbert

Have yet to see or hear of it here in PA. I have seen several smaller mom and pop shops offering Stihl products, but selection is limited.
I have however seen some come and go, I purchase between 2 dealers, one for most and they are a local town super hardware store, nationally branded but locally owned. bought my 360 Pro there in 2003, and my gf's MS250 from them in 2010 They treat me well. However when I needed some special service tools they refused to sell them to me, and refused to install seals in my older 028 super, I understand the "age" card of the saw, but at the time I was unable to do the job. Long story short found another dealer and they sold me the seals, the tools, and helped me out.

I guess we are all apt to changing, when the owner realized I didn't get what I was asking for, he was disappointed, but it was too late I had my mind set to go elsewhere.
However BIG BOX Stores, my local TSC now carries Jonsered saws, and had husky I guess money talks and volume sells. I have seen several local husky and jonsered dealers fade out because of big box. leaves no room for dedication especially when big box can have lower prices.

i just noticed the same thing at my local Ace Hardware... buy they only carry home owner models. i asked if they could order me a pro model (just to see) and they said no, their contract was only for home owner models... i thought that was weird... but maybe thats a restriction that stihl puts on its "big box" stores, leaving pro level saws to the service dealers

Yep, happened to John Deere, Toro, and many other formerly excellent brands. The Ace Hardware near me doesn't carry Husky saws anymore, only those damn orange and white homeowner ones. I'd pick up a homeowner Husky before I'd pick up a homeowner Stihl, I can tell you that.

I read an article years ago somewhere here on the net, about Snapper mowers and what their CEO thought of putting mowers in walmart, he stated that for the prices that they wanted and what they would have to "cheapen" they wouldn't do it.
Today's economy makes things tough for any company, or owner. on the other hand the "homeowner" series of products sometimes is ok, but there are always cuts, years ago the lower end husky saws were poulan made I believe.

I was a Shindaiwa Dealer for several years, loved their trimmers still have a few (had before a dealer) have a Shindaiwa 488 and its taken a beating as well. Their pledge was always no big box stores, it just saddens me to see them and echo merge officially and the echo products avail at big box, and trusted DEALERS. something you have to cope with and make a decision.

BEST ADVICE: Remember when you have a problem big box stores usually don't have service on site, with a dealer most times they will expedite the repair.

When I bought my Stihl 360 my dad warmed up the saw on fast idle with the chain brake on, he caused some damage to clutch, bearing, oil pump, and a cover my stihl dealer worked with me, charged me NO labor, and cost on parts as I had only run 3 gallons of fuel through it.. What would the dealer do if I bought the same saw at big box store?

Back