Stihl, now made in Brazil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then! I guess you need to look around a little more. Here's some fields filled with metal slag:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eRFA1thsHiMt3Zbp6https://maps.app.goo.gl/RZNYTmuggtYW2WuW9https://maps.app.goo.gl/Wf7fZfWMWnP3BesJ8
All from Sheffield Steel. Ever hear of them?

Most of this area is also slag-field, but they built other metal plants on top of it:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Qq9nhbkWeZLmtxKL8
I don't know how deep they were filled up from the old metal plant, but they are as high as the nearby levies.
You do make me chuckle a bit. :ices_rofl:

I guess when the city runs their dredge every other summer and fills the old lumberyard full of river silt that is being "discarded" It sure is not for flood control now is it...............

Do you really think I didn't read your inane statement with your escape clause built in? I guess you didn't read very well when I answered this::

With this:
There was nothing insane about what I said. Can you expand on what you feel was insane.

GIF by BachelorInParadiseAU

No! You may argue. Coal ash isn't a waste to be disposed of. It's good stuff, says Bill.
Please quote where I ever said that. It seems you are making an accusation without evidence.
I am tired of accusations without evidence.

I never said anything about the use of "ash" or "fly ash"

Please prove me wrong!

Keep posting your memes and I will continue to be respectful, stay on topic, and back up what I say with evidence. It would be nice it you would do so also but that is your choice.

Define what you mean by "ash" I do not want to disagree with you if we are not talking about the same thing.
Coal plants produce two kinds of ash. Relatively light ash known as Fly Ash that passes through the flue gas system and is typicaly recovered in bag houses. The second is Bottom ash which accumulates in the bottom of the furnace. It is much higher in density than Fly Ash and is the consistency of very coarse sand. Partily because it goes through a clinker grinder prior to being conveyed out. It's typicaly sluiced out of the furnace using a hydraulic conveyer. You are talking about the latter when you mentioned cinders, although that's an old term from the days of stoker boilers.

I will assure you no steel plant that I have ever seen discards slag. That would be like saying coal burning power plants discard cinders and rock quarries discard fines.
There are different types of slag at the same plant. Some can be used as aggregate or recycled in other ways. Alot of it is land filled.

Coal plants produce two kinds of ash. Relatively light ash known as Fly Ash that passes through the flue gas system and is typicaly recovered in bag houses. The second is Bottom ash which accumulates in the bottom of the furnace. It is much higher in density than Fly Ash and is the consistency of very coarse sand. Partily because it goes through a clinker grinder prior to being conveyed out. It's typicaly sluiced out of the furnace using a hydraulic conveyer. You are talking about the latter when you mentioned cinders, although that's an old term from the days of stoker boilers.
I appreciate that you defined what you meant. I used the correct term for what I meant and never used the term "ash" or "fly ash" in what I was referencing I will assure you, @pdqdl and anyone else that cinders coming out of the coal plants here are not "discarded" nor is the slag coming out of our steel plants here. We might be "hicks" but we are well educated and very resourceful "hicks"

Folks should come take a tour of our rural roads someday.........

I appreciate that you defined what you meant. I used the correct term for what I meant and never used the term "ash" or "fly ash" in what I was referencing I will assure you, @pdqdl and anyone else that cinders coming out of the coal plants here are not "discarded" nor is the slag coming out of our steel plants here. We might be "hicks" but we are well educated and very resourceful "hicks"

Folks should come take a tour of our rural roads someday.........
Tell me what exactly are cinders? Because I can say with certainty it's not an industry used term.
Coal by products are land filled all accross the country at various plants on a regular basis. Not all , but many do.

Tell what exactly are cinders? Because I can say with certainty it's not an industry used term.
Coal by products are land filled all accross tge country at various plants. Not all , but many do.
Well instead of telling you I figure a picture might be better...............

1702192955831.png

Well instead of telling you I figure a picture might be better...............

View attachment 1134434
That's bottom ash.. and yes its often landfilled. The plant I worked at landfills all of ours. It's actually less marketable than Fly Ash. We sold most of our Fly ash to cement companies, but two of of our five units had Fly Ash that wasn't marketable, so the ash from those units was landfilled too.

That's bottom ash.. and yes its often landfilled. The plant I worked at landfills all of ours. It's actually less marketable than Fly Ash. We sold most of our Fly ash to cement companies, but two of of our five units had Fly Ash that wasn't marketable, so the ash from those units was landfilled too.
Any plant landfilling cinders is throwing away money. That is piss poor business. There are times we cannot even get them here because the large shingle companies are paying a higher price for them than they are worth. Now that John bought a pup for the tandem he can haul a larger amount and reduce the costs.

So then if they discard cinders and discard slag do the quarries also discard screenings? When they are removing a highway do they also discard the broken concrete?

You are talking about the latter when you mentioned cinders, although that's an old term from the days of stoker boilers.
There are places in the USA where salt and cinder is what folks talk about the gritty material put on the roads. Here in Ct they use sand like from banks deposited in the glacial times. Then there is liquid but that is getting way off topic. Cinder is not an antique word probably where Bill is. they salt and cinder for safety. Cinder block, It must be like concrete block but using cinders have not seen any new but it is kind of a poor quality block.

Using cinders from the coal plants is excellent for winter roads. They are not corrosive like salt or calcium chloride. They are very cheap, unless the shingle companies are bidding up, and they work flawlessly.

You take a icy road and spread a bit of good black coal cinders on it and watch it work. Those black cinders soak up the heat energy from the sun and create a helluva bed for traction. We only put them on the hills or sharp turns. If you are too dumb to drive on a flat road you probably stay home

There are places in the USA where salt and cinder is what folks talk about the gritty material put on the roads. Here in Ct they use sand like from banks deposited in the glacial times. Then there is liquid but that is getting way off topic. Cinder is not an antique word probably where Bill is. they salt and cinder for safety. Cinder block, It must be like concrete block but using cinders have not seen any new but it is kind of a poor quality block.
I worked in the midwest just north of Bill in MI and WIS. Its not s term that's used in industry.
I am also suprised they spread coal by products on roads as its full of nasty stuff like mercury,lead, cadmium and other heavy metals.

Any plant landfilling cinders is throwing away money. That is piss poor business. There are times we cannot even get them here because the large shingle companies are paying a higher price for them than they are worth. Now that John bought a pup for the tandem he can haul a larger amount and reduce the costs.

So then if they discard cinders and discard slag do the quarries also discard screenings? When they are removing a highway do they also discard the broken concrete?
Maybe you should get into the power plant management business?
Say what you will but coal combustion by products are land filled every day accross the country.
What your not considering is the liability a plant will insure if at some point coal by products are decreed to be an environmental problem.
Twenty-thirty years ago a plant down south had let a municipality collect their waste oil to spray on dirt roads for dust control. It was found the waste oil was contaminated with PCB transformer oil. Guess what happened next..

Latest posts

Back