Stihl or Dolmar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HermanVW

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all I am new here and well I am looking in the near future to get a new chansaw. I currently have an old poulan pro that my uncle gave me and well I think that I have worn it out (no real surprise). It wasn't a bad saw but I want to step up in quality and have longer life span. I was looking at my local dealers and one offers Dolmar and the other Stihl. I am looking for something in the 16" range to do some general cutting for firewood purposes and yard work. I have about 20 trees to cut this year alone. I was just wondering what the consensus was as to what is a better saw for the money Dolmar or stihl?:newbie:

I bought a Dolmar 510. (most of the folks here like the 5100) It is comparable to a Stihl 260, and about $150 cheaper. I paid $329 for it, and I have been using it to clean up trails and cut up some pretty good sized downed trees for friends. I got an 18" bar and am using Woodsman pro 30RC chain from Bailey's. So Far I love it. +1 for Dolmar.

:chainsaw:

For a long time I thought that stihl was the only way to go, but this past year I was introduced to dolmar and now I own a dolmar as well as a stihl. Dolmar makes a very good saw and from what I have seen in my area stihl can't compete with their prices. +1 for Dolmar!

Which Dealer Is Best?

The saws are basically a wash. Both are excellent. The deciding factor for me would be the dealer. Which one will give you the best service and stock the parts you need to keep running. I have always had good luck with Stihl products but I am REALLY impressed with my Makita saws(Dolmars with prettier cases). I will have to say that the Stihl dealer I do business with is a top notch dealer that knows that a happy customer spends more money in their store. Fantastic service dept. and doesn't make you feel ignorant at those times when you really are.
Mike

Hello all I am new here and well I am looking in the near future to get a new chansaw. I currently have an old poulan pro that my uncle gave me and well I think that I have worn it out (no real surprise). It wasn't a bad saw but I want to step up in quality and have longer life span. I was looking at my local dealers and one offers Dolmar and the other Stihl. I am looking for something in the 16" range to do some general cutting for firewood purposes and yard work. I have about 20 trees to cut this year alone. I was just wondering what the consensus was as to what is a better saw for the money Dolmar or stihl?:newbie:
For the Money Dolmar!!! If you want to pay more and get nothing in return Stihl!
For some it means dealer support, but for me I have no local Dolmar dealer and a terrible Stihl dealer.So I am on my own when it comes to those two but my Jred dealer is great. And I can get parts online or make a phone call to get my dolmar parts should the need arise, can't do that with Stihl.

For the Money Dolmar!!! If you want to pay more and get nothing in return Stihl!
For some it means dealer support, but for me I have no local Dolmar dealer and a terrible Stihl dealer.So I am on my own when it comes to those two but my Jred dealer is great. And I can get parts online or make a phone call to get my dolmar parts should the need arise, can't do that with Stihl.

Boo Hoo

I'm a nobody, but 20 trees isn't much. Save the cash and get the one you can for cheaper (read Dolmar). If I can recommend, get something that can turn a 20" B&C. That will do you for 99% of cutting in just about any area.
Good luck and hold on for the CAD

I plan on cutting more than 20 trees that is for sure, I just know that as of right now I have at least 20 dead in my yard that I have to cut down. This isn't counting the trees that will be cut for wood and when helping others out with their firewood cutting. I have a Poulan Pro with an 18" bar on it now and I am having problems with the carburetor constantly and it just doesn't want to idle at all that is why this year I am going to get me a quality saw that will last. It isn't that I don't expect to have to do some maintenance and some work to any saw but I would like to be able to get it out and use a saw when I need it and not have to mess with it every time I get it out to use it. I had some poulans in the past and they seemed to work well for what I used them for but this newer one is just not worth the hassle. That is why I am considering either a Dolmar or a Stihl.

If you have a limited budget-which you will quickly exceed if you hang out here very long, get the Dolmar and spend the money that you save on some good PPE-at a minimum a helmet with hearing protection and some chaps.

Good luck with your choice.

Buy a dolmar 5100 for the size range you listed. For the money you can't go wrong. Especially if you have a local dealer nearby! After you decide you need a larger saw step into an MS361 and your life will have come full circle. Anyway good luck with your choice.
And by the way get the 18" 3/8 bar... it's really only 17" long and works perfect.

You get more saw for the money with Dolmar and usually get a better power to weight ratio.

Both are well engineered IMHO.

Stihl's field reliability is second to none. There must be 100X more Stihl's out there proving themselves in harsh conditions then Dolmars. That's not to say Dolmar's aren't field worthy - they just don't have the extensive history as the Stihl professional saws.

The dealer part of the equation is variable. If you need dealer support then you better evaluate your local options carefully. Dolmar parts are readily available on the internet. However Stihl refuses to sell parts on the internet and if your B&M dealer has to backorder everything then it's much worse then Dolmar and a PIA to deal with. However there's an abundance of after market and used Stihl parts just a few mouse clicks away.

Last edited:
You get more saw for the money with Dolmar and usually get a better power to weight ratio.

Both are well engineered IMHO.

Stihl's field reliability is second to none. There must be 100X more Stihl's out there proving themselves in harsh conditions then Dolmars.

The dealer part of the equation is variable. If you need dealer support then you better evaluate your local options carefully. Dolmar parts are readily available on the internet. However Stihl refuses to sell parts on the internet and if your B&M dealer has to backorder everything then it's much worse then Dolmar and a PIA to deal with. However there's an abundance of after market and used Stihl parts just a few mouse clicks away.
I am out of bullets but very good post! I do have to say how many parts or should I say used parts are out there for a newer Stihl? Oh wait the only ones are the 361&441 Stihl is a little behind in up dating models:hmm3grin2orange:

Well I'll be dayyuuummmm! No 361 yet?????

Get the 361.:chainsaw: :dizzy: :dizzy:

The Ms260 or Dolmar 5100 would be great choices, although sounds like you could get away with a cheaper saw, a ms250/270 or Dolmar 510......

Wait

Don't go by others opinions. RUN THEM BOTH!!! Go to your dealers and make them let you try each out. You be the judge. Don't base it on price, or others influence. Your the one that's going to be running it for the next few years... I love them both. Long as you pick Dolmar or Stihl you can't lose bro...

:cheers: :clap:

Latest posts

Back