Stihl Orange - Color Variations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd35

Just an average Joe's brother!!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a little 025 in need of repair. Nice little saw with a few problems that needed attention. One problem was that its rear handle was partial broke. So....I jumped on the bay and found one that appeared to be in good shape for a good price. Bought it. Arrived in the mail the other evening. Pulled it out of the box. It was every bit as nice if not nicer than it appeared in the photos in the ad. So went into my shop and laid it on the counter next to the damaged one (with its rear air filter cover still on it) and discovered the two factory Stihl handles are completely different shades of orange. This new one is really dark. The original being replaced is a very light shade of orange as is the cover. I was going to reuse the cover (which fit perfectly) but the two look awful when assembled together.
So, my question is this: Have any of you folks ever tried to dye plastics to get them to match color?

I picked up a little 025 in need of repair. Nice little saw with a few problems that needed attention. One problem was that its rear handle was partial broke. So....I jumped on the bay and found one that appeared to be in good shape for a good price. Bought it. Arrived in the mail the other evening. Pulled it out of the box. It was every bit as nice if not nicer than it appeared in the photos in the ad. So went into my shop and laid it on the counter next to the damaged one (with its rear air filter cover still on it) and discovered the two factory Stihl handles are completely different shades of orange. This new one is really dark. The original being replaced is a very light shade of orange as is the cover. I was going to reuse the cover (which fit perfectly) but the two look awful when assembled together.
So, my question is this: Have any of you folks ever tried to dye plastics to get them to match color?
Ive seen people use rit dye to color their ar-15 mags. I dunno if it would work for this kind of plastic though. I feel like it couldn't be too hard to make the lighter one a bit darker.

Latest posts

Back