Stihl, Oregon, or something else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am VERY partial to Stihl. I feel they are the best saws on the market and I also love their chains and bars. I know they are pricey but I cut a lot of hardwood and they dont seem to need sharpening as much as the Oregon bars and chains on other saws I have used.
Now that you know that I am used to spending the money on the Stihl bars and chains is there a better bang for my buck? is there a chain or bar out there that will last longer than my Stihl ones do for the same money or less?

BB I am partial to Stihl B&C also as I have had excellent excellent service from them. I am planning on ordering an ArborPro bar for narrow kerf chain and a couple of 20NK chains from Bailey's for a small saw just to try it out, I believe for taht money I can probably not go wrong even if its life is a bit shorter.

BostonBull said:
Now that you know that I am used to spending the money on the Stihl bars and chains is there a better bang for my buck? is there a chain or bar out there that will last longer than my Stihl ones do for the same money or less?

Probably not. You like 'em and they work. Go with your gut!

I agree with fwf. Go with your gut. I also am partial to Stihl, and also use their bars and chain. Threre's several threads on here about the different bar and chain options, and it's like threads on fuel/oil mix or what to use for bar oil. Everyone has an opinion, and that's fine. You do see alot of pros out here with Oregon bars on their saws in the backs of their trucks. My guess is becuase these guys go through bars like most of us go through gas, and if they can get a Stihl bar to last an extra month or so that's great, but it ain't worth the extra money, and they go with the Oregon equipment.

Jeff

I have a sabre bar on my 066 magnum a foresty bar on my 036 and a stihl bar on my ms180. I run stihl chains on all of my saws I love them I think they are the best my bosses run them on all their saws at work and he is cheap so you know they have to be worth the extra money. I defently think that the chains last longer inbetween sharpens thats why I use them and they last forever if you keep them out of the dirt and rocks.

do a search on windsor ,gb,any other other bar or chain name.. theres probabably many post discussions here.good luck

For chains, Baileys sell woodsman pro which I was told is made by Carlton. A lot of folks here advised me to try it on my earlier question/tread.

GB (Griffiths & Beerens) seems to be another favorite for replacement bars.

Draio :)

Latest posts

Back