• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Trade Stihl oversized clutch cover & spike set for Madsen’s 044/440 wrap handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve recently learned that the Madsen’s wrap handles that would fit a Stihl 044/046/440/460 are virtually impossible to find available anymore. But, it never hurts to toss a lure in the water to see if anything bites…

I have a full kit needed to convert a larger Stihl to an oversized clutch cover with dual bucking spikes and the roller chain catch. All OEM; never used. These items have been assembled and mounted on a saw, but the saw was never used with them on it. I haven’t verified the spikes, but the clutch cover is indicated in mediaCAT to fit the following models: 038, 044, 046, 064, 066, 440, 460, 461, 650 and 660. I didn’t bother with photos because if you want these parts you probably know what they look like and again, they’re new. That said, I would be happy to get some photos if requested by someone considering the trade.

The set includes:
  • Large/outer spike - 1128 664 0502
  • (2) screws for mounting outer spike - 9008 319 0960
  • (2) nuts for mounting outer spike - 9214 320 0700
  • Small/inner spike - 1122 664 0506
  • Roller style chain catch kit - 1122 650 7701
  • Oversized clutch cover - 1122 648 0403
  • Rubber chip guard for clutch cover - 1122 656 1510
  • (2) bumper strips that shocking don’t come with the cover! – 1121 648 6610
All of the items listed above retail for $110.39 + tax here in my area. I will not separate the parts, I will not sell the parts, and I will not trade for anything else. I had no intention of selling/trading these parts, but I’m willing to let them go if I can find a Madsen’s wrap for my 044.

For a straight trade the handle must be new, or in like new condition with no visible wear or damage to the metal or rubber. I would need bonus cash or additional trade if the handle is in less than like-new condition.

I believe the Madsen's handles are no longer made. Luckily, I bought the last two they had. :)

About 6-9 months ago, I was chasing one for my 460 and was told by Madsen's that the older age gentleman that was making the handles for them had stared to experience some serious health problems and had slowed his production considerably. They said that if his condition did not improve, that he was going to have to stop making them and if that happend; they were going to try to find another supplier. Problem is, they can't find anyone to make them anywhere near his quality, especially at his prices. So now those handlebars that were made by him are somewhat collectible now. Young had some at one point, I don't know if he still does, but you may want to give him a try. Good luck! Scott

Correct, they are no longer available which is why I'm looking here instead of just ordering one...

Are you willing to let one of yours go, or did you just tell me that to torment me? :(
I'm just bragging, both of mine already have homes.

However, Stihl dropped the price on the new 3/4 wrap handle and I actually prefer that handle most of all. The last new one I got cost me $120, so it's likely your price is even better since you're at the dealership.

Hey guys I spoke to Ervin @ pro safety late last week he is still making his pro handles for the 044, I'm pretty sure pro safety was what Madsen's was selling/? Anyhow if anybody would like to call Ervin directly call pro safety @ 360/686/3686 hope this helps

Hey guys I spoke to Ervin @ pro safety late last week he is still making his pro handles for the 044, I'm pretty sure pro safety was what Madsen's was selling/? Anyhow if anybody would like to call Ervin directly call pro safety @ 360/686/3686 hope this helps

Not the same thing.

Not the same thing.

Like Mike said, not the same thing. The USA brand handles (what we're referring to) sold at Madsen's for $49.95. The supply of those has been an ongoing issue for years. The Pro Safety handles (sell for $120 at various places) are still widely available.

The weber customs handle is nicer than pro safety ones to me.

I gave more than $50 for my Madsens 3/4 wrap. I paid less than OEM price, but more than the original Madsens price. Seeing how they are no longer made, mine has a forever home.

I think it not only looks better, but it feels better and no parts to wear out. It's a one piece design, over the multiple pieces of the OEM.

Good luck on your hunt for one. They are well worth it.

460 is on the right! :rock:

20140724_214908.jpg

Latest posts

Back