Stihl paint color and technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbosco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
does stihl sell the white paint used on crankcase and clutch cover. I bought an 026 pro off of CL and though motor and is good, saw needs some comestic help. I incorrectly assumed this was just regular white , but doesn't appear so when I hold up my paint job to an new stihl saw.

2nd question.... once painted should I heat or "bake" the paint , if so how do I do that (what temp etc..) thanks folks

does stihl sell the white paint used on crankcase and clutch cover. I bought an 026 pro off of CL and though motor and is good, saw needs some comestic help. I incorrectly assumed this was just regular white , but doesn't appear so when I hold up my paint job to an new stihl saw.

2nd question.... once painted should I heat or "bake" the paint , if so how do I do that (what temp etc..) thanks folks

The "white" is actually grey. I PM'd you.

Last edited:
i had the same problem as you.. got a 2nd hand saw which needed a bit of a tidy up cosmetically. Read here about the Stihl grey paint and marched to my dealer with the item number- problem was here in Northern ireland we only have one main stihl dealer (lots of smaller satellite dealers who go through the one main dealer) and although theyre nice to chat to.. theyre not that good when it comes to requests for more unusual items.. like paint, roller chain catcher or dp mufflers! The closest he could go was to point me in the direction of the stihl brand tree marking aerosols!!

Anyway i was back on this site searching old posts and some GENIUS suggested "Ford tractor gray" paint. i had no problem getting it and it was a really good match. (i must look back now and find out who it was and rep him now i know how to do that!

regards andrew

I happened to go to the powder coater today to have my Stihl parts powder coated and when we went through his custom color palette we could not find one color that was a match for the Stihl Grey. HOWEVER, we happened to find a primer that he carriers (still powder coat) that has the same gloss and exact same color as the OEM parts I brought him off my 084AV !!!!

$10 bucks he's preparing and coating my starter cover!!! :cheers:

Thanks for the input. Went to Tractor Supply and got some "Ford Grey" today. What a pleasure to learn from those who have "already been there" . This site is awesome..

Off for a George ####el on the rocks... Axe Men in 10 minutes

Just got back from the powder coater today. I think he did an AMAZING JOB. If anybody is interested I will see if he will do it for you guys!
IMG_0662.jpg

i know of stihl oem spray paint in a can, but i'm not sure if you can still get it. check with your dealer they may be able to order some.i have an old can of the grey on the shelf. it's from the 80's though.

I thought I would try Ford Gray to paint my Stihl clutch covers. Not even close, works great as Homelite Gray. Discovered there are 2 Ford Grays, I ordered Ford light gray, works GREAT! Got 2 cans from Agra- Supply for 8 bucks delivered. Stihl Gray 12 bucks per 12 oz.can plus 6 bucks shipping. Thanks

Go to TSC.
Look for the farm implement paint.
The "Ford Lt Grey" is a near exact match!!!

I saw the Ford Lt Grey, and it is close, though just a tad more blue, I think. I just got done taking the yellow out of the plastic starter housing of the 009...read about a neat trick using concentrated hydrogen peroxide to coat it and then let it sit in the sun for a day...it really is amazing. Anyways, with the yellow out, it most definitely has more of a slight green tint to it than blue, though the TSC paint would have been just fine.

I bought a can of the Stihl grey and stripped it down to bare metal in many places. Then I used self-etching primer, followed by the Stihl paint. It took FOREVER to harden...I suspect because I followed the primer directions and applied the Stihl paint right away. If I do it again, and use that primer, I will definitely let it age for a bit before starting with the finish coats. I also used the Rustoleum clear coat, and found it had a tendency to want to melt the Stihl paint as well. Once hard, it's fine, but again, one needs some patience. Not sure if the Krylon product would behave any differently or not. Even with the clear coat, as others have noted, the spray can finishes are not terribly durable; I already have a couple of chips. For the effort involved, if you can justify the equipment or are going to do a few saws, I think powder coating is the way to go for durability.

The nameplate had a fair number of scuffs and nicks on it, but I found a paint pen in an off-brand at Michael's that is almost a perfect match for the Stihl orange, and touched up the knicks in the orange, and used a black paint pen for the scuffed letters, followed by clear coating it before putting it back on the starter cover. It isn't perfect, but it is much better, and good enough since I expect to put some wear and tear from use on the saw. My intention was just to give the outside some love to reflect all the attention I gave the inside!

I did splurge and buy a new micro mini 12" bar so I could use three 12" loops I picked up from a landscape guy who replaces his trimmer chains every job. They were almost like new, and I was VERY impressed by how well the narrow kerf pulls through the wood; I would not have guessed it was a green chain. I have an 012 almost done that I will put the standard picco .050 pitch chain and am curious how they compare.

Robert

The part # for the stihl grey paint is 0000 000 2102. I just ordered a can but I might look into the ford paint.

Back