Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coverage will be about 100m² per litre, and at a guess a saw is ¼m² so.... You've enough for 800 saws.
From experience/crap memory I would guess 2 decent coats of 2K primer or top coat on a large bonnet would be around 500ml :dizzy:

Now I have to figure out how to mix all of this stuff up and spray it.

Depends how you are measuring it? By weight or volume? From memory the 2k epoxy primer is 2:1 volume or 30% on weight. Thinners is around 5-10% depending on how thin you want it out of the gun.

The 2k acrylic top coat is more like 4:1 or 5:1, thinners is more like 25-30% on the top coat, more thinners, better gloss, but more chance of running.

I would use a detail gun (I have a SATA minijet but no compressor atm.. hahaah), but seeing as you already have one I guess use what you have and adjust the nozzle pattern, flow rate of paint and pressure to suit.

Use a flat bottom mixing stick else you will not be able to mix the stuff at the bottom of the pot you are using and end up with wet paint forever.

Obvs this is all just my opinion of what to do. You should have data sheets for the paint for the correct ratios.

Ok, so my paint gun seems to have grown legs. I hope it's somewhere in the garage, but I'm thinking someone who has had access to the garage (pool guy, plumber, lawn guy) has liberated it...

Whatever the case, now I'm in need of a new paint gun, and I'm thinking of getting a smaller detail gun like @Adam08ski mentions above. Anyone have any recommendations? Figure I'll get something on Amazon but with hundreds to choose from, I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.

I should be looking for HVLP, gravity feed, right? With about 4 ounces reservoir capacity?

Scott

Ok, so my paint gun seems to have grown legs. I hope it's somewhere in the garage, but I'm thinking someone who has had access to the garage (pool guy, plumber, lawn guy) has liberated it...

Whatever the case, now I'm in need of a new paint gun, and I'm thinking of getting a smaller detail gun like @Adam08ski mentions above. Anyone have any recommendations? Figure I'll get something on Amazon but with hundreds to choose from, I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.

Scott
Sata minijet - used
Devilbiss sri - used

Both will be better than anything else you will buy new, unless you buy one of these new.. IMO

Don't discount iwata. They are the best in my opinion. But honestly if all you're doing is painting chainsaws, I would buy a harbor freight detail gun or if you want something a little bit better, a Sharpe finex FX1000. I run an auto body supply store, so ask away if you have any more questions on guns or materials.

And all these guys telling you that you need a devilbiss or sata to paint a freaking chainsaw? In my opinion, totally unnesseccary. A skilled painter can take a cheap paint gun and make it look good. A crappy painter can take a 1000 dollar sata and screw up th3 simplest of jobs.

And all these guys telling you that you need a devilbiss or sata to paint a freaking chainsaw? In my opinion, totally unnesseccary. A skilled painter can take a cheap paint gun and make it look good. A crappy painter can take a 1000 dollar sata and screw up th3 simplest of jobs.

I am not a gun snob but this guy has about 1000 saws to paint. I used to work in a decent oem paint shop. Just giving my opinion

In that case, then yes, buy a good paint gun. I saw that number thrown around in the thread earlier but I assumed you all were joking. OP: check out the iwata LPH50. Iwata products in general use less air than sata or devilbiss and make less overspray. I will never own a sata product. They are a great gun, but if you ever need parts you're screwed as they are insane expensive. They also only sell aircaps, nozzles and needles as matched sets.

The biggest factor is a quality paint job however is your prep. Everything must be clean enough to eat off of. Any parts receiving paint must be sanded. Bare metal areas need epoxy primer or self etching primer. When you buy your paint and primer, ask the counter person for copies of the tech sheets for the product you are using. Then read and follow said tech sheets.

Don't discount iwata. They are the best in my opinion. But honestly if all you're doing is painting chainsaws, I would buy a harbor freight detail gun or if you want something a little bit better, a Sharpe finex FX1000. I run an auto body supply store, so ask away if you have any more questions on guns or materials.

I'm painting saws now, but I restore classic cars, too. I've been farming out my paint and bodywork, but I'll start doing that myself in the near future, so a good gun would be nice.

I've actually heard good things about the HF guns, but it's a pain in the arse to get stuff shipped here from HF and it takes a while.

Researched the FX1000 a bit and it has very good reviews. I can get one for $125 at Amazon. What tip should I get? 1.0, 1.2, or 1.4?

Thanks,

Scott

Back