Stihl parts sources or recyclers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwizum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have good online resources for stihl parts? I've always owned Husky saws but recently picked up a basket case ms661. I am going to need a lot of random odds and ends that I wouldn't mind going used or aftermarket - the local dealer prices on some of this stuff is literally insane - more than $400 for a handle?!?!?! I see aftermarket handles for lots of other models online but am having trouble finding anything for this saw. Besides the handle, I need a sproket cover, muffler, a bunch of screws... I've been scouring ebay for a few weeks and same story there - lots of parts for more popular models but not much for mine. I'm hoping some of you have bookmarks of favorite places to buy this stuff so I don't have to stumble through it myself.

Thanks for the suggestion - I went to try to do that and got a message that I have insufficient privileges to post in that forum. Sounds like there's some sort of restriction on who can do classifieds posts? Maybe someone will see this thread...

Thanks for the suggestion - I went to try to do that and got a message that I have insufficient privileges to post in that forum. Sounds like there's some sort of restriction on who can do classifieds posts? Maybe someone will see this thread...

The last I heard, you must be a more seasoned member with a longer chain of participation. I think you need 8 more posts, for a total of 10. Posting privileges are automatically granted, I think. If not... try sending me a message on #11.

In the meanwhile, just put up a request for whatever part you need in this forum. There are a lot of guys out there with a lot of parts. If they refer you to the wanted ads... tell 'em you can't post there yet.

Thanks guys. I'll keep posting and put a thread over there once I get enough. The saw is an MS661C-M as far as I can tell, it has the fancy m-tronic electronics on the carb. It appears to have originally come with a full wrap handle. I'm mainly going to be using it in a mill so I'm hoping for a 3/4 wrap handle but at this point I'd take any handle I can get. I'll grab my notes and post again later with a full list of what I need.

I guess this is as good a time as any to ask about the parts differences on different versions of the 661. I've been staring at the parts diagram long enough that I feel like I have half of it memorized, but it has been a struggle since I know nothing about the history of this saw and it came with many parts missing, so I had to kind of deduce which version it was by looking at what was left over.

I think this saw originally came with the full wrap handle. On the parts diagram, it appears as if the sprocket cover is different for the fully wrap handle vs the 3/4. Is that true? Can you mix and match?

The side of the carb has a wiring harness on it that has a little white plug on the side. It looks like that plug gets covered with a black grommet. My grommet is missing. I'm assuming I want the solid plain one, since I don't have handle heating (it looks like the grommet for the heated handle version has a spot for the on/off switch for the heater elements?)

Any other major parts differences I should look out for in the different versions of this model?

The sprocket cover is different for a wrap, they're longer so you don't stuff your fingers on the chain when you're utilizing that side of the wrap. You won't have any issues running that cover with a half wrap. I'm not aware of any other major parts differences, but I don't know a whole lot about 661's.

Oh gotcha. For a minute there I was wondering if you'd accidentally posted in the wrong thread or something...

No, I just invade threads with bizarre observations. Occasionally I help people.
The MS661 would be interesting to part out, if the handle is that expensive.
They are that expensive and just went up. One of my friends had two non-running 661's and we elected to part one out to save the other. Three years ago I replaced the outer handle, the tank housing, and the chain brake on one and shelled out about $500 for the parts alone. Stihl doesn't want you to buy parts; they want you to replace the whole saw.

They are that expensive and just went up. One of my friends had two non-running 661's and we elected to part one out to save the other. Three years ago I replaced the outer handle, the tank housing, and the chain brake on one and shelled out about $500 for the parts alone. Stihl doesn't want you to buy parts; they want you to replace the whole saw.
With all these smart cookies here someone should be making them you would think.

Yeah, I'm already on the lookout for more of them to part out. Seems like a niche in that it's a somewhat popular saw yet apparently doesn't have the aftermarket support that other popular models have.

Yeah, I'm already on the lookout for more of them to part out. Seems like a niche in that it's a somewhat popular saw yet apparently doesn't have the aftermarket support that other popular models have.
Maybe the patents haven't run out yet?
Might not be enough market support yet so custom ones or rebuilt ones could be made. Being efficient at it is key. Time for shop labor here kills that option.

Latest posts

Back