Stihl parts sources or recyclers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a guy making outer handles for Stihl, specializing in wraps, but when the design on the 661 became rather complicated, he bowed out. I don't blame him.
Most try to to reinvent the wheel. Others will adapt another handle like I would. The material and time is the real cost. Think outside the box like building custom cars. Always a way but it might not look appealing. See now that never stopped anybody from chopping anything regardless of how bad or how good it looked, right?... but we all learned something that brought new ideas by looking at it. Fresh or new eyes always helps. You need to kick it around like an old can with a few people to get their perspective. Those full wraps they did make were sturdy if you need one. Not my thing but Husky has plenty of them much cheaper. Know any welders?

Yeah, I'm already on the lookout for more of them to part out. Seems like a niche in that it's a somewhat popular saw yet apparently doesn't have the aftermarket support that other popular models have.
Yet another possibility. The 500i was released right after the 661 M-tronic, and many buyers of the 661 changed their preference to the 500i, a lighter saw with about the same power. For a few hundred dollars more, the 661 owners could "move up" to the fuel-injected 500i. That virtually killed the after-market support of the 661.

So what is the going rate for a new one?
About 15% higher than what it was last year. Nobody seems to care. After all, food prices are up at least 25%. A box of cereal is sitting on $7, about twice last year's price. I never thought I would ever see ground beef selling for $5 a pound or gasoline for $5 a gallon.

My equipment price inflation solution is simple. Hang on to what I have and fix it myself as best as I can.

I bought a pair of caps for the Echo 355T that often come in broken. The very next day after I got my order in they went up a buck apiece. Ridiculous price, but the saw is worthless with a missing cap for either bar oil or fuel. The suppliers know that.

Latest posts

Back