Stihl PM chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, these saws are going to drive into the nut house or broke!!!!!!!!! I have four saws that all use different cahins, I want to fix this!!! Hopefuly the 262 and 350 will find homes soon, I am planning on getting a 20" for the 046 and can't find what I want so I will have all three bars for it in 3/8 .063, that will leave me with the 192t and the 346xp.
My question, mainly for Lakeside, is will a standard 3/8 drive sprocket on the 346xp and a 3/8 bar work with the stihl PM .050, not the PMN .043, chain? Or am I just hosed again?
Thanks,
Andy

Yes, the standard PM chain wil work in any 3/8 bar that is 0.050 guage.

The 192T will not be as happy with PM as with PMN though...

Wouldn't know Andy, the PM is what came on it and all I have ever run, saw doesn't seem to mind running it, at least it doesn't complain as much as some other things in my life!!!!!
Andy

Lakeside53 said:
Try it withy PMN sometime.. Oh.. that would really complicate your life!

Kinda what I am trying to get away from!!!!!!!!!!! More crap!!!!!!!!!! Less saws that want to run, newer ones that do!!!
Andy

Your 346xp will surely not perform its best with PM chain.

I think your attemt to standardize chain will do more harm than good, as it will compromize the performance of your saws..... :angel:

Btw, have you managed to fix the 262?

SawTroll said:
Your 346xp will surely not perform its best with PM chain.

I think your attemt to standardize chain will do more harm than good, as it will compromize the performance of your saws..... :angel:

Btw, have you managed to fix the 262?

Not sure if you missunderstood me, or I you, this is what I am talking about:

This saw chain was specially developed for the smaller STIHL saws. The major advantage of the OILOMATIC® STIHL PICCO™ chain is its high degree of smoothness during operation. Although the STIHL PICCO™ Micro™ has a pitch of 3/8", the special shape of all component parts gives the OILOMATIC® STIHL PICCO™ a different profile from other 3/8" pitch chains and is designed for use on smaller, less powerful chain saws.

3/8"
1/4" .325" 3/8" .404"" PICCO

0.050" 3997

As it is designed for the smaller saws how will it hurt the perormance of the 346? If it really is an issue I wont do it, I just want to understand first?

Yes, th 262 is back together and running, havn't had time to put it in wood yet, and I need to make sure it still oils right, broke the pump drive gear (bronze) and had to replace it with a new one (plastic) so I am leary of it!!
Andy

Latest posts

Back