Stihl, Poulan compression questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullittman281

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
Bullittman here. Just discovered this site the other day and I have a couple of questions. I have a Stihl 029 that I put back together out of a junk parts saw and a Poulan Pro 295 that I saved from the junk bin as well. For what its worth I'm at about 6,000 ft elevation.

When I found the Stihl the piston was stuck and somebody gutted the drive side of all the parts. I pulled the rope really hard and the piston broke free and the saw had good compression so I rolled the dice and put it back together. When I originally acquired it it had 120-125PSI compression cold and less hot. I've only used the saw a little bit and the thing seemed to run better and better the more time I get on it. The cylinder and piston looks good as far as I can tell. Tonight I tested the compression again and get almost 140PSI cold and really close to 125PSI Hot. I'm assuming my gauge is accurate. My question is is how are the rings doing? When I first got the saw unstuck the was a very slight stain on the cylinder but it has since disappeared. What your guy's thoughts on my readings? Any good?

My other question is on my PP295. I rescued it out of the trash with a clogged carb. A tree service company had it originally but is didn't look to have too much time on it. This is my go-to saw. I probably have well over 100Hrs on it. I use the saws for fire wood and have helped family and friends with fire wood as well. I think I've had it about 4 years and have had almost zero problems with it. The saw still seems to have lots of compression and on the tester I get 115 cold and a fuzz over 100 hot. Are these numbers still good or is it starting to show its age? I seem to remembering having more that that but I just don't remember. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks for the input

Bullittman

Hello,
No responses yet. Perhaps a similar question would be what is the effect of altitude on compression readings. Can you figure a loss of 3%/1000Ft like power or is it different? Let me know what you guys thing. Thanks

Bullittman

I would say the Stihl is doing fine.......run it like you stole it!

The Poulan is starting to show its age and getting a bit "long in the tooth".
At 6000 feet there is still several days work left in it though.
As long as it is still running, get all of the use out of it that you can.

Mike

:cheers::cheers:
I would say the Stihl is doing fine.......run it like you stole it!

The Poulan is starting to show its age and getting a bit "long in the tooth".
At 6000 feet there is still several days work left in it though.
As long as it is still running, get all of the use out of it that you can.

Mike

Latest posts

Back