Stihl Pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I see that some guys may be getting good deals on Stihl saws. The few dealers I've been to around here give me the same BS. "Stihl won't let us work with pricing on saws". Is this really true? I would consider buying one if someone would deal.

No its not true, what they are really telling you is they don't want to be low balled, you should take the hint and buy what you want or go somewhere else. Course they are being polite and using Stihl as the excuse while they are thinking your a cheap sucker,LOL

I find that cash works well most of the time. I have one dealer that makes sure I get a good price if I have cash in hand. All the others dealers play the Stihl won't let us deal thing. I pay list price for eveything except saws, which helps. Plus I buy all my lawn mower parts there and etc.

I tried using the Buy it Now option[w Or best Offer} on some of my e-bay listings, and it actually hurt sales, plus wasted a whole bunch of my time...

Same reason dealers don't play that game, or want to.

When I worked at the dealership in Lawrenceburg 9 years back, had some loggers wanting us to sell them chain at cost.

I asked "why would we want to do that?"

Well we'll just do business in the next county then, they will.....

I said, "sure, fine" You don't buy saws here, or anything else, and when something breaks down, you want to be at the head of the line in repair times.
So, hit the road.

Hi all,

I see that some guys may be getting good deals on Stihl saws. The few dealers I've been to around here give me the same BS. "Stihl won't let us work with pricing on saws". Is this really true? I would consider buying one if someone would deal.

That's bull. It's called price fixing. Stihl has no grounds to dictate what an "independent" servicing dealer can charge for their merchandise.

No its not true, what they are really telling you is they don't want to be low balled, you should take the hint and buy what you want or go somewhere else. Course they are being polite and using Stihl as the excuse while they are thinking your a cheap sucker,LOL

So, you call them polite, I call them a bunch of passive aggressive bald faced liar snatches. :)

So, you call them polite, I call them a bunch of passive aggressive bald faced liar snatches. :)

Well they could say getcha cheap azz outta here so yeah they are being polite and placing the blame on Stihl. Now me, I wouldn't do that. I'd say ya wanna deal do ya, ok, here's the deal, the price is on the tag. See how easy that is,hahaha

Every unit in house is listed at MSRP.

Now if you come in demanding a discount, you can turn around and go back out of the door you come in.

If you come in and ask for a discount/deal, then my first question is, how do you plan to pay?

As mentioned, cash goes futher than plastic in a owners eyes. Even a debit card has charges to the merchant.

Stihl does not nor does any other supplier of mine tell me what I have to sell there item for.

How many people go to Walmart, Lowes, or any box store and name there price/ demand this and that at no charge?

Now if you come in demanding a discount, you can turn around and go back out of the door you come in.

If you come in and ask for a discount/deal, then my first question is, how do you plan to pay?

As mentioned, cash goes futher than plastic in a owners eyes. Even a debit card has charges to the merchant.

Stihl does not nor does any other supplier of mine tell me what I have to sell there item for.

How many people go to Walmart, Lowes, or any box store and name there price/ demand this and that at no charge?

Not clearly stated in the first place, but not demanding. Just asking for a return on the discounts I have to give these same people for personal purchases at my place of employment. Just wanted to know if the blame was correctly put on Stihl or not.

Bingo, on the money, good post!! Discounts are very easy to get if you ask kindly and use the right attitude. Demand one and my comeback is gonna be don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. Its all about attitude.

Over here in "rip-off Britain" 30% off Stihl and Husky is what many dealers will offer, but you need that much off their silly prices.

Not clearly stated in the first place, but not demanding. Just asking for a return on the discounts I have to give these same people for personal purchases at my place of employment. Just wanted to know if the blame was correctly put on Stihl or not.

I will shop at locally owned business like feed stores, and hunting supply stores because they shop with me. I dont ask for a discount and they do not ask for one from me. Now if they asked one from me then I would expect the same thing from them.

I know I can buy the same things they sell at other places, cheaper in some cases, but they support me and I support them.

The blame is not on Stihl or most other manufactor.

I just bought a 362 and a 260 from my local dealer. I also buy tires from him and I bought a commercial mower from him two years ago. I bought a 250 trimmer from him a month ago. I always pay him cash. He did not have either saw in stock, so I just told him to order them-I don't ####er or quibble with him.

When I went to pick the saws up, he told me he needed $1100 for the two saws. I took note of the prices at the Woodsmen's show in Booneville last month, where dealers typically offer great pricing. The two saws, with tax added would have cost $1101 there. I'm satisified.

Will

A large volume dealer in my area has an annual Stihl sale the 3rd week end of Oct. Discounts range 10-15% on equipment and about 20% on chains and accessories. Credit card purchases are allowed. The regional Stihl Rep was there during that time last year.

I try to delay purchases for that sale.

My local Stihl dealer was firm on price, no hat, no chain, no mix, no nothing-not even a handshake. Parts pricing for other stuff was high.

Went with Husky from one of the site sponsors Spike60. Backed it up with a Dolmar refurb. Been in plenty of wood since :chainsawguy:, and no problems.

Good move..Just met him the other day at a gtg...knows his stuff and honest!

I understand how you feel. If I'm asking you for a discount, and you oblige, then yea, when you come to me I should return the favor. As for me, I like the dealer I have here. I don't argue or quibble over the price. I pay what's on the tag. However, when I have a minor problem, I've had the guy come out with a screwdriver or a wrench, correct the issue right there in the parking lot, and hand the saw back to me. No paperwork or arguements, and no charge! To me, a dealer like that deserves the money!

Latest posts

Back