Stihl questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone! First post here, just wanted to ask some stihl related questions.
I traded my 60gallon vertical compressor for 4 chainsaws, one is a husky 142, one is a husky 61, one is a stihl 028 av super, and the last is a stihl064 av, also I traded my iPad for an unused stihl ms361.
My questions are:
1- is stihl pronounced still or steel? I have heard it called both.
2- how can I identify what model and year the stihls are?
The husqvarnas have metal tags on them, do the stihls have them somewhere?
Thanks in advance,
Tim
P.s. photos to follow if I can figure out how to do it from my iphone

Last edited:
The Ozzies tend to say "Still". Seems like the rest of the English-speaking world (I suppose MA qualifies....) says "Steel". I've only owned three saws, all Stihls, and never seen a year tag on 'em. The higher-end saws might have, though.

When you want to know how to pronounce a brand name, ask the manufacturer. And Stihl says it's "steel."

Period.

The serial numbers on Stihl saws can help ID year of production. There are no specific year tags I know of on Stihl saws.

You got yourself some great model Stihls there. The 028S and 064 are classics, and still hold their own in the cut today. With the 361 you've got a sweet 3-saw plan. A set of 50, 60 and 90cc saws. Now get yourself a 460 (or, if you want to stay old school, an 038 Magnum), and you'll have the 70cc gap plugged. I can already tell you suffer from CAD, considering what you traded to get all your saws. :D

Last edited:
+1..what StihlyinEly said...there are no production marking on a Stihl ('steel') saw.

It's only in the serial number and it woun't identify anything to you personally.

If you can get a Stihl dealer to run a check on the serial number..he can tell you what dealer

sold it and to whom and what the sale date was. The Mfg. date is likely a few months earlier.
:cheers:
J2F

I'd say you got the better end of that trade. Some of us are :alien2: with envy. Mercy sakes an 028 super, a new in the box MS361, and an 064av. Rep sent -- yeeehaw! :msp_w00t:

well im getting better now, instead of 4 return emails i get 5, can i push for six
dont worry it will be fixed
regards peter

When you want to know how to pronounce a brand name, ask the manufacturer. And Stihl says it's "steel."

Period.

The serial numbers on Stihl saws can help ID year of production. There are no specific year tags I know of on Stihl saws.

You got yourself some great model Stihls there. The 028S and 064 are classics, and still hold their own in the cut today. With the 361 you've got a sweet 3-saw plan. A set of 50, 60 and 90cc saws. Now get yourself a 460 (or, if you want to stay old school, an 038 Magnum), and you'll have the 70cc gap plugged. I can already tell you suffer from CAD, considering what you traded to get all your saws. :D

Not sure what CAD is but I'm sure I do. I kinda just lucked into the chainsaw deal, I saw an ad on Craigslist that said, four saws plus a compressor trade for a 60 gallon compressor, which I happened to have one that I rarely use, and the deal was done.
Of course I had originally traded my 288xp for the compressor though, funny how these saws get around.

did I read right? You got an unused ms361 for an ipad?!?!
you rock! :rock:
btw, ask the guy if he wants another ipad?

I should clarify... The saw was used long enough to smudge the I in stihl on the bar then put in a truck as a backup, it does have a few scuffs but less then 10 hrs run time.
The way I see it, I could replace the iPad for less than half of the cost of the saw.

Thanks for the responses, I started the cleaning/inspecting/repairing process today with the 028, the saw was filthy, I don't see how people can treat their stuff so poorly.
First I did a compression test and the results were:
Cold with throttle wide open-140 psi
Warm with throttle wide open-152psi
I do not have a manual so I will just go with the popular decision on wether those numbers are ok or not.
The carb screws were 7/8 open on both, but the side cover has a decal that says 1-1/4 open on both but when I tried them at 1-1/4 the top was too rich the Rpms fall off right after 7/8 and the low bogged after7/8 and felt like too much fuel. Does this indicate a problem or was stihl just being over cautious with there #s?

The compression is a bit lower than normal but ok. The carb screw position is a starting point. Adjust it where it needs to be. Nice score!

So I decided today while cleaning up the 064 that I am going to do a complete rebuild on this saw, I don't know alot about it and I don't want to take a chance of ruining it.
I have a few dozen 36" plus red oaks that I'm taking down this winter and would like this saw to have a 36" bar, is this saw capable of running a 36" bar into 30"+- wood all day or should I mod it? If so, what mods and what would it cost?
Or should I just keep it a stock rebuild? If so, what should I expect to spend ( roughly ) ?
If it is not outrageously expensive then I would like to rebuild the 028 also.
I really appreciate the help, this is one of the cooler forums I have been on. Thanks!

Back