Stihl QuickStop Secondary Brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elektrobot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum, and have read through alot of very informative posts, but do not find anything when I search for info on the Sthil QS system. I am interested in purchasing a MS 280 CQS for keeping a fence row clear, and cutting about 4 cords of firewood a year. I used to work in a small engine repair shop, and have repaired hundreds of saws -mostly husqvarna, but have never needed to own one until now. I've got my first house, and the first thing I did was install a wood burning stove -and would like to cut my own wood to use as fuel. The reason I ask about the "quick stop" system is because I do not have much experience using a saw, and figured the more safty features, the better. None of my local dealers have a quick stop equipped saw in stock for me to look over, and would appriciate any input from someone who has seen or used this feature.

First off, welcome to AS. I trust you will find, along with the occasional bit of BS and such, a great deal of information here on all sorts of interesting topics, including chainsaws. Enjoy.

On the topic of the QS feature, I suggest that you take a look back in the old posts. Either by searching or simply flipping back a few screens. The topic of the QS system gets raised almost every week, so scroll on back through the posts. You will find a couple lengthy posts discussing the pros/cons of the system which should answer all your questions on the topic.

Do a search for "361C" or even just "C." It has been discussed at length. It's a homeowner type feature, but you sound like you might be using the saw as a homeowner. Maybe it'd do ya right. Most say skip it, but after you read up on it, you'll be able to decide for yourself.

Where in NE Indiana are you from? I'm from Plymouth.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

elektrobot said:
Hey Everyone,
.. I am interested in purchasing a MS 280 CQS for keeping a fence row clear, and cutting about 4 cords of firewood a year.....
The simple answer is don't buy it !
If you want a 280, get the "clean" version, without the QS and preferably also without the QCA.
Both features are totally unnessessary add-ons that only serve to increase the weight and complexity of the saw. The QCA also tend to discurage proper maintenance and flipping of the bar, as it has to be dismantled to do it.

If your saw doesn't have to be a Stihl, take a look at the Husky 359 and Dolmar PS-5100 before you buy the saw.

Do a search like jeff said, this has been discussed several times in the not too distant past.

Good luck whatever saw you deside to buy!

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Both features are totally unnessessary add-ons that only serve to increase the weight and complexity of the saw. The QCA also tend to discurage proper maintenance and flipping of the bar, as it has to be dismantled to do it.

!

For 4 cords a year, I don't see where the quick chain adjuster would be that big a deal when considering maintenance. Each year, as the saw is being put away, clean it thoroughly and flip the bar.

As far as unnecessary complexity of the quick stop feature, for a homeowner it could make transport inherently safer since you don't have to think to set the chain brake manually.

That said, I have no saws with those features.

Back