Stihl rebuild question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Firewood sales are slowing down now and a local shop gave me a very good condition 290 that had the piston and jug ruined from someone using straight gas. I have it completely torn down and ready for the rebuild but wonder if I can put in a 310 or 390 piston and jug instead of the 290. I contacted stihl and got their standard "we dont recommend it". What are your thoughts on what can be done? One guy told me the 310 would be fine but the 390 may not work because of a difference in the crank or bearings? Thanks in advance for the help.

It's my understanding that you can use the 390, and if your rebuilding it, it would make sense to put the 390 top end on it. I believe if you do a search you will find quite a few threads about this topic.

Tom

Not sure if they use the same carb or not, but settings will be different at very least.

I always try a search, For some reason the search function worked for me earlier but it will not work for me now, I will keep trying. Fortunatley for me I am much better using a tractor, wrench or a saw than I am using a computer, If I wasn't I would starve. I figured someone that has experience with these saws would know for sure and give me a definitive yes or no.

Firewood sales are slowing down now and a local shop gave me a very good condition 290 that had the piston and jug ruined from someone using straight gas. I have it completely torn down and ready for the rebuild but wonder if I can put in a 310 or 390 piston and jug instead of the 290. I contacted stihl and got their standard "we dont recommend it". What are your thoughts on what can be done? One guy told me the 310 would be fine but the 390 may not work because of a difference in the crank or bearings? Thanks in advance for the help.

390 p/c will fit and work fine...same crank/rod/stroke,,, may have to go up one main jet size on the carb and retune but thats about it. :rock:

Yes, it all works - same everything except the carb jet. The 390 also has a higher output oil pump than the orginal 029. Probably because they think you'll be using a longer bar.

I just got through converting my father's saw an 029 to a 039. I even ported it somewhat and did my own muffler mod. The ported 039 makes a monkey out of my muffler modded 360pro, I guess my port job was not too bad. The swap was a big upgrade from the pewny 029. I added a rim sprocket to it and now am running 3/8 chain!

Back