Stihl RS vs RSC chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCartman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I typically use RS chain on my saw, with the exception of the RM2 that came on my saw when I bought it. :cry: I promptly took an angle grinder the to humped tie straps to make the danged thing CUT!!

I was just checking out Stihl's web page showing their different chains.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

Can someone please explain the difference between RS & RSC? I can see no obvious difference on their site, but the pics of the cutters are from opposite sides. About the only difference I can see is the profile of the depth gage.

Is the RSC all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks....

I have 2 loops of RSC and have used it side by side with Oregon and Stihl RS. The RSC is smoother and it appears to be ever so slightly faster. The RS is discontinued in 3/8" but the RSC (C is for Comfort) is an improvement in performance. This is a technological advance and not an EPA or safety implementation.

I can also tell you that the RSC is even sharper than the RS straight out of the box. It is also easier to file the first time when using a round file.

skwerl said:
I have 2 loops of RSC and have used it side by side with Oregon and Stihl RS. The RSC is smoother and it appears to be ever so slightly faster. The RS is discontinued in 3/8" but the RSC (C is for Comfort) is an improvement in performance. This is a technological advance and not an EPA or safety implementation.

I can also tell you that the RSC is even sharper than the RS straight out of the box. It is also easier to file the first time when using a round file.

Thanks Skwerl. How much and what difference is there to the cutter profile? I guess it doesn't really matter if it's better chain - I'm just curious.

The RSC sure is a fast and smooth chain to cut with.:)

The C mean "comfort", and tell you that the chain has a anti-vibe chassis that is copied from Oregon LP, BP, VP etc.

The RSC3 has also copied the kickback reducing feature (ramp on the dl in front of the raker) from the same Oregon chains. This feature does not seem to reduce cutting speed much, if at all.

...makes me wonder if some Oregon controlled patents have run out lately??:)

I've set the two chains side by side and couldn't see any obvious differences. I wouldn't be able to tell one from the other by looking at it.

Look at the "heals" of the tie strap when the chain is under tension on a bar, and I think you will notice a slight difference...

For those concerned with safety, try the RSC3 - the low kickback version. Reports from a few guys out here is that it seems to cut about as good as the RSC...

Lakeside53 said:
For those concerned with safety, try the RSC3 - the low kickback version. Reports from a few guys out here is that it seems to cut about as good as the RSC...

Does that "about as good" also apply to plunge cutting, or do the anti-kickback tie-straps get in the way of that?

musher said:
Does that "about as good" also apply to plunge cutting, or do the anti-kickback tie-straps get in the way of that?

That I don't know... Pretty small anti-kick straps though... I'm just going to have try it myself sometime.

I guess I wasn't paying attention, and just assumed it had the triple-humped tie-straps like the RM2, but reading the StihlUSA site, it just has a single-humped drive-link. They also claim that it has excellent cutting and plunge cutting efficiency.

I'm still sitting here with the RM2 that the saw came with, and I don't think that is gonna help me with any plunge cuts that I need to make.

musher said:
There aren't any anti kickback tie straps on the RSC3/Oregon LP/VP etc.

There is just small ramps on the drivers, directly in front of the rakers.
The combined size of the raker+ramp isn't much larger than the raker alone on RS/RSC/LG.

SawTroll said:
There aren't any anti kickback tie straps on the RSC3/Oregon LP/VP etc.

There is just small ramps on the drivers, directly in front of the rakers.
The combined size of the raker+ramp isn't much larger than the raker alone on RS/RSC/LG.

Yep. I figured that out, as you can see from my subsequent post/correction.

experience

I was able to plunge cut as effectively with 22LP Oregon as with 35LG or Stihl 26RS if that helps. If it is indeed a ripoff of LP or an improved Stihl version it will be excellent. What is interesting is that Stihl got it to meet ANSI anti kickback standards while Oregon's LPs were always reduced kick but still yellow label chains. That having been said I never had a severe kickback anymore than with blue/green label chain with 22LP.

Diesel JD said:
I was able to plunge cut as effectively with 22LP Oregon as with 35LG or Stihl 26RS if that helps. If it is indeed a ripoff of LP or an improved Stihl version it will be excellent. What is interesting is that Stihl got it to meet ANSI anti kickback standards while Oregon's LPs were always reduced kick but still yellow label chains. That having been said I never had a severe kickback anymore than with blue/green label chain with 22LP.

Stihl has taken this one stage further - they now have a range of ES bars that are GREEN coded (I think these are going to replace the yellow bars). I put the orginal yellow ES bar beside the Green ES bar and the difference is TINY just near the tip.

Back