Stihl S10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacomabobd

Reaction score
My brother-in-law has a Stihl S10 chain saw. Even though it’s an old saw it works great. I would like to buy a new Stihl saw with approximately the same engine size. I have tried to find this information on line and have failed. Can anyone help me? I do not know if this is the way to post a message. here it goes.

tacomabobd said:
My brother-in-law has a Stihl S10 chain saw. Even though it’s an old saw it works great. I would like to buy a new Stihl saw with approximately the same engine size. I have tried to find this information on line and have failed. Can anyone help me? I do not know if this is the way to post a message. here it goes.

Hmmm, that's like comparing a 53 ford with a Toyota Camray... or whatever... Size isn't all that relevant as the technology changed. What size do you want to cut? How often do you want to cut? etc... there are many many saws to suit. You might try going in to your Stihl dealer and talking to them - would be worth while.

lol lake! I was thinking the same thing. a 260 would prob cut better than the s-10, and a 440 prob weighs the same!
-Ralph

stihl s-10

This saw as made in the late 60s and was approximately a 4 hp saw. It had an air vane governor that would actually put the choke on to richen up the saw. To replace it these days is impossible, as any saw tht weighed that much would be a six or seven horsepower saw. Try a Stihl ms260. It is a 3.5 hp saw that weighs nothing.

begleytree said:
lol lake! I was thinking the same thing. a 260 would prob cut better than the s-10, and a 440 prob weighs the same!
-Ralph

You should try one!
Mine had a 24" 3/8 and did just fine. Would a 260 do that?????

Mange, I have. A friend of mine has one. good saw, if you like slow and heavy. personally I couldn't care less about burying a bar and pushing real hard trying to stop it. I take better care of my stuff than that. There's a reason why that old stuff isn't made anymore. too heavy and slow by todays standards.
-Ralph

Nice old saw, very similar to my 08s, heavy, a little slow (mine drives 3/8 on a 24" Sthil rollertip no probs) but theres a reason it was produced as an industrial saw for 30+years, dependable (and tough, easy to work on etc).
The ms260 sounds like a good bet and seem to be well regarded around here.

Back