Stihl Saw Identification Anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
This is a wonderful site that I have recently found. I have been reading here for a couple of weeks now, and am happy to have found the site
I purchased this saw used 5 years ago, and love it. I have used the saw for firewood, and unfortunately it seems to be having some compression problems. There doesn't seem to be a model number on it though, and am curious what kind of saw it is.
Can anybody help me with the make and model?

I really like this saw. Do they have a bad reputation? If so, I'd be curious about why.
Is the 029 the Stihl "farm boss". Also, did they make an 029 "super". could this saw be a "super"?
I'm asking, because If I have to buy another, I would like an equivalant saw.

Thanks,
Bill

It's either a 029, or an 039. It's not a pro saw, but a very good general firewood saw.

Last edited:
Looks like an 029 to me. Could be a 039 though. Definately the 029/039 chassis/muffler, which is the same as the 290/310/390 now, except the 390 has a decomp button on it. My guess is that yours is an earlier model from the looks of it. They still make them; the 290/310/390 models are all pretty much the same saw. And yes, the 029 and the 290 are named by Stihl as the "Farm Boss" saws. I have one, and I like it too. I even have a "Farm Boss" 20 inch bar. Makes me feel like I am the boss of the farm here and all, even though I am not. ;)

Last edited:
If you decide to buy a new saw, remember that the old one is worth a few bucks for the parts!
A new tank assembly alone is $136, used can bring $50+. Search Stihl 029 on ebay for a complete list!

Oh, and I do have a very good used Stihl MS-310 for sale with it's original box and owners manual, if you're interested.

Last edited:
i'm sorry if I made the 029 sound like a bad saw-it's not that at all.I had one for 8 years and it never failed me. its just that parts to fix these things are way more than the saw is worth. If the dealersays it's down on compression is it worth fixing?

i'm sorry if I made the 029 sound like a bad saw-it's not that at all.I had one for 8 years and it never failed me. its just that parts to fix these things are way more than the saw is worth. If the dealersays it's down on compression is it worth fixing?
I have seen new short blocks, which is ready to bolt up to your old saw parts go for a little over a 100.00$ on Ebay. If you can do the switch 100.00 plus shipping ain't bad for a new running saw.

Please tell me,
What specialty tools do I need to do the piston.cyloinder switch?

I've got all covers off, carb off, handle bar off, muffler off. Also have a source for the new piston/cylinder..

What special tools do I need to proceed? I've got screwdrivers and nutdrivers

Thanks,
Bill

Please tell me,
What specialty tools do I need to do the piston.cyloinder switch?

I've got all covers off, carb off, handle bar off, muffler off. Also have a source for the new piston/cylinder..

What special tools do I need to proceed? I've got screwdrivers and nutdrivers

Thanks,
Bill
It does not look like the 029 to me & I would make a postive ID before I ordered parts.

Back